Open tender for KL waste incinerator

0 comments

City badly needs 1,000-tonne facility

LENGGONG: THE prime minister has instructed that an open tender be carried out for the construction of the critically-needed 800 to 1,000-tonne capacity solid waste disposal incinerator for Kuala Lumpur, said Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Seri Chor Chee Heung.

He said he had invited local and foreign contractors to send their proposals to the government.

"The need for the waste disposal facility is becoming critical. We're informing the international community, so please send in your tenders based on our criteria," he said after opening the Dataran Lenggong food court, here.

Based on visits to two countries, an incinerator on the outskirts of the city that could accommodate between 800 and 1,000 tonnes of waste daily would cost not less than RM500 million, he said.

He said high-tech incinerators such as those in South Korea, Japan and Singapore would not adversely affect the people's health.

Chor said Malaysia had four incinerators, in Langkawi, Tioman, Pangkor and Cameron Highlands, with the fifth one soon to be completed in Labuan.

He expressed the hope that Perak would participate in the Federal Government's sustainable solid waste management system. On Sept 20 last year, Perak Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir said the state needed to resolve the matter with the ministry.

On another matter, Chor said the ministry had allocated RM26.25 million to Perak local authorities this year for 124 projects. Bernama


Related Articles

Leave Your Comment


Leave Your Comment:

New Straits Times reserves the right not to publish offensive or abusive comments and those of hate speech, harassment, commercial promos and invasion of privacy. Your IP will be logged and may be used to prevent further submission.The views expressed here are that of the members of the public and unless specifically stated are not those of NST.