Senior Customs officer shot dead


KILLED ON THE ROAD: Police probing into recent cases Customs director-general II was working on

PUTRAJAYA: PUTRAJAYA was gripped in shock yesterday when a senior civil servant, Customs Department directorgeneral II Datuk Shaharuddin Ibrahim, was shot dead at a traffic-light junction while being driven to work. Police immediately set up a task force led by Federal Criminal Investigation Department director Datuk Seri Bakri Zinin to investigate the murder, which was believed to be related to Shaharuddin’s work.

The deceased, who was the highest-ranked uniformed Customs officer, was believed to have ruffled feathers as he went after errant taxpayers in a bid to increase revenue for the government. It was learnt that the task force had begun
probing into cases that Shaharuddin was working on in the past few months. Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar advised the public not to be alarmed as police were on top of the investigations.
Ismail said several people had been questioned. He stressed that the incident had nothing to do with the general election and that the people of Putrajaya need not worry about their safety.

“This is an isolated incident involving the murder of a law enforcement officer,” Ismail said.

“We cannot accept it when an enforcement officer becomes the victim. It is as though the culprits are challenging the authorities.” Shaharuddin, 58, was in the front passenger seat of a four-wheel-drive vehicle when two men on a motorcycle pulled up alongside about 8.20am as the vehicle stopped at a traffic-light junction heading towards Lebuh Wawasan.

The pillion rider fired three shots at Shaharuddin, which hit him in the neck and cheek.

 Seeing the injuries, his driver immediately drove to  Putrajaya Hospital where Shaharuddin was pronounced dead at 9.20am.

 Kuala Lumpur CID chief Datuk Ku Chin Wah said Shaharuddin had earlier left his home in Dengkil at 7.55am.

 Ku said police had seized closed-circuit television camera recordings from the area.

 Later yesterday evening, the task force held a meeting and began probing several leads.
 Shahruddin was believed to have been shot with an automatic weapon but police are still awaiting confirmation from post-mortem results.

 The hospital yesterday was packed with Shahruddin's  colleagues, friends and relatives,  who turned up almost immediately upon hearing the news.

 Customs Department director-general Datuk Seri Khazali Ahmad expressed shock and disbelief over the passing of his deputy, whom he described as a  dedicated officer.

 One of Shaharuddin's staff members, Zawiyah Ibrahim, said he was a no-nonsense and strict man.

 "He had a big heart, despite being strict at work. We will miss him a lot."

 At the hospital was Barisan Nasional  Putrajaya parliamentary seat candidate Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.

 Expressing his condolences to Shaharuddin's family, Tengku Adnan said the department had lost an officer of the highest calibre and hoped the culprit would be arrested soon.

 Shaharuddin left behind   wife, Datin Rahimah Ibrahim, a daughter, who is a doctor at a private clinic in Kuantan, and a son, an architect.

 He was buried at the Precinct 20 Muslim cemetery after Asar prayers.

 Those with information on the case can contact police at 03-2115 9999.

Related Articles

Leave Your Comment

Leave Your Comment:

New Straits Times reserves the right not to publish offensive or abusive comments and those of hate speech, harassment, commercial promos and invasion of privacy. Your IP will be logged and may be used to prevent further submission.The views expressed here are that of the members of the public and unless specifically stated are not those of NST.