GOOD RESPONSE:The Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing Ministry extends the programme to other parts of the country as it receives over 60 applications
THE Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing Ministry has received 64 applications for the 1 Malaysia Maintenance fund from all over the country.
Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing Minister Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin said the success of the maintenance fund in the Federal Territories had prompted the ministry to extend the programme to other parts of the country on June 4.
"With the good response from the residents, were we able to get the cabinet's approval to extend the maintenance fund to other states," he said after presenting cash tokens to government retirees at Lembah Pantai on Monday.
Raja Nong Chik presented RM50 each to 1,100 retirees. He said the second round of token was to thank the retirees for their support and contributions to the building of the nation.
Raja Nong Chik said that the applications for the fund was sent in by residents' associations, joint management bodies as well as other housing management of medium- and low-cost homes.
He said most of the applications for the fund came from Penang.
"We have received 22 applications for the fund from Penang. This shows that the maintenance scheme has received positive results," he said.
Raja Nong Chik said that same terms and conditions will apply to those who seek the maintenance funds.
"The government will pay 90 per cent of maintenance and upgrading works at low-cost flats nationwide, while the respective associations will have to fork out the remaining 10 per cent," he said.
Raja Nong Chik said that the maintenance fund can be used to paint the flats, repair faulty lifts and for other maintenance work at the flats.