- MH370 Tragedy: 'Unidentified material' under investigation
- MH370 Tragedy: No hesitation from Petronas to find new assets for search
- MH370 Tragedy: MAS has settled about 96 per cent claims from Chinese families
- MH370 Tragedy: Deeper search for Malaysian jet soon
- MH370 Tragedy: New independent international investigative team established
- MH370 Tragedy: Malaysia, Australia vow to keep searching
- MISSING MH370: Co-pilot's brothers seen carry clothes and toiletries
- Karpal Singh's Death: Karpal's maid unable to give statement yet
- Expert: Pilot may have attempted soft landing
- Karpal Singh's Death: Police were fully on duty until Karpal's cremation
- MH370 Tragedy: ROV to replace AUV?
- Young film director makes short film on selfish Malaysian drivers
- Councillor in critical condition after stabbed on chest
- Wenger wants Arsenal to prove their worth
- S.Korea Ferry Incident: Death toll hits 150 as search gets tougher More
PUTRAJAYA: The Housing and Local Government Ministry is building 10 sanitary landfills which are expected to be operational next year.
National Solid Waste Management Director-General Datuk Nadzri Yahaya said the landfills were at Bukit Payung, Pagoh and Pekan Nenas in Johor; Sungai Udang in Melaka; Ladang Tanah Merah in Negeri Sembilan ; Temerloh in Pahang; Bukit
Jemalang and Teratak Batu in Terengganu: Teluk Mengkudu in Perak and Rimba Mas in Perlis.
"Some of the landfills are at the stage of detailed environmental impact assessment (EIA), construction and also design. We hope all the 10 landfills will be completed and be operational by next year," he told reporters here today.
Earlier, he attended a special preview of the department's recycling campaign at the Housing and Local Government Ministry here which was opened by its minister, Datuk Seri Chor Chee Heung.
Currently, there are eight sanitary landfills in the country.
Nadzri said there were 166 garbage disposal sites in the country, with 16 of them being closed.
"The ministry is upgrading 32 disposal sites pending finding more strategic sites for the building of environmental friendly sanitary landfills, he added. -- BERNAMA