- MISSING MH370 : MAS 'lost contact' with plane carrying 239 people
- MISSING MH370 : Relatives, friends to gather at Beijing hotel
- MISSING MH370 : Massive search off south Vietnam coast
- MISSING MH370 : Statement from MAS chief executive
- MISSING MH370 : List of missing passengers
- MISSING MH370 : Previous MAS crashes and near misses
- MISSING MH370 : Public urged not to speculate news
- MISSING MH370 : Pix gallery
- MISSING MH370 : Plane has been missing for 13 hours now
- Anwar guilty of sodomy, gets five years jail
- MISSING MH370 : Family members keep vigil at KLIA
- MISSING MH370 : Pilot is Capt Zaharie Ahmad Shah
- MISSING MH370 : Nationalities of 239 passengers and crew
- MISSING MH370 : MAS refutes claims aircraft ran out of fuel
- MISSING MH370: Tears and fury as relatives wait for news of airliner More
INVITING: Round Table Aerodrome Cafe has a cosy atmosphere where diners can savour its popular ais kacang and other tasty dishes
JOHOR BAHRU: ISMAIL Tan Abdullah, 56, wants to continue the legacy of his late parents who started the food business in 1957.
His father, Tan Yap Cheng and mother Ang Meow Luan were known among the locals for their ais kacang, tauhu bakar and rojak petis.
In those days, the couple plied their trade at Pasar Baru Round Table along Jalan Wong Ah Fook.
Ismail grew up with the business and decided to open Round Table Aerodrome Cafe with his wife, Rohana Ngah, 53, in June last year.
The cafe has a cosy atmosphere and its interior decked with movie posters.
The cafe was relocated from Susur 2, Jalan Tun Razak here.
At the cafe, ais kacang is made using freshly boiled red bean, sweet corn, condensed milk, cincau jelly and syrup, among others.
Five decades ago, the dessert, made using the same recipe, was served in a plate.
Its tauhu bakar has a crispy outer layer while the rojak petis uses petis (gravy) made from a family recipe.
There is also yam basket in the menu with different types of fillings.
To make the basket, raw yam is crushed, boiled and kept under low temperature before it is fried.
Fillings include beef or chicken, dried chilli and mixed vegetables.
For seafood lovers, patrons can try udang Nestum which is prepared by deep-frying the shrimp and refrying with Nestum cereal and butter.
Ikan asam pedas cangek which is prepared using seabass (ikan siakap) is also a hit among patrons.
Plum sauce is used in the ingredients to give a pleasant sour taste.
Patrons can also savour mee hoon goreng terbang which is cooked with a sauteed squid, chicken, and shrimp.
It is called mee hoon goreng terbang as vermicelli noodles are made to stick together instead of breaking into pieces during the cooking process.
For snack, patrons can choose to have man tow (oriental steamed bread) which is served with chilli crab gravy or fish curry gravy.
Round Table Aerodrome Cafe is big enough for hosting functions and can accommodate 250 guests.
The cafe is located at 1 Jalan Padi Emas 3/2, Bandar Baru Uda.
It is opened daily between 2.30pm and midnight except on Sunday.
For details, call 07-230 9084.