KUALA LUMPUR: There are no plans to extend the toll rebate and discount period, Plus Expressway Bhd said yesterday.
Its chief operating officer Mohammad Fuad Khusairi said the highway concessionaire had decided its toll rebate dates after considering the traffic distribution during the Hari Raya festive season.
"Plus is offering a 30 per cent rebate to motorists, class 1, who pay toll via electronic toll systems on Aug 22, 23 and 31.
"This is to encourage the public to travel to the Klang Valley earlier and also to discourage users from travelling on peak days -- Friday, Saturday and Sunday."
Fuad explained that the rebate dates were part of the company's initiative to distribute the traffic to non-peak days.
Approximately RM9 million in toll rebates was expected to be redeemed by Plus road users this Raya season.
On Tuesday, Road Transport Department director-general Datuk Solah Mat Hassan had proposed that highway concessionaires extend the period for toll discount and rebates.
He had said the limited discount and rebate time had resulted in motorists rushing to beat the deadline, thus contributing to jams at toll plazas. An estimated 1.4 million vehicles ply the North-South Expressway during the festive season, which is a 30 per cent increase compared with normal days.
Plus' toll rebate is eligible for those who pay using their PLUSMiles card, Touch 'n Go card and SmarTAG.
A check with Duta-Ulu Kelang Expressway revealed that the highway concessionaire had increased its toll discount from 10 per cent last year to 20 per cent this year on the first day of Hari Raya.