JOHOR BARU: More than 100 people were made homeless when 22 squatter houses were razed in a fire at Kangkar Tebrau in Johor Baru recently.
The 3.16pm incident occurred when fire began to spread rapidly along two parallel rows of wooden houses in Jalan Nipah 1 and Jalan Nipah 2.
Johor Jaya Fire and Rescue Department deputy commander Tahrin Saad said the operation posed a challenge due to low water pressure in the neighbourhood.
However, the fire was under control within 10 minutes.
Tahrin said factors such as the houses' wooden construction, strong wind, hot weather, and proximity between each homes caused the fire to spread quickly.
"The firemen were forced to source water from a large drain. We were assisted by firemen from the Pasir Gudang station as well," said Tahrin.
Resident Zawiyah Sahak, 30, and her family of five are now left with only the clothes on their backs following the incident.
She said some RM5,000 worth of jewellery and other household items were destroyed.
"I was working at the food stall nearby when the fire broke out. I am grateful that one of my daughters who was asleep during the incident, managed to escape before the fire destroyed our home," said Zawiyah.
Lelawati Abdul Fatah, 19, and her husband were shocked to find their newly purchased flat screen television stolen after they placed it outside their home while salvaging their other belongings during the fire.
"I can't believe someone could do such a thing. We placed the TV outside the house, and after removing all the other items out of the house, we noticed that the TV was gone," said Lelawati. y