SHOCKED: Instant noodles bought from sundry shop made son ill, claims imam
AN imam in Kota Tinggi was shocked when he realised that the expiry date of a pack of instant mee hoon, which he had bought on April 24 this year, was Aug 16 2010.
Sarif Salleh, 68, of Taman Kota Besar made the discovery after his son Shariffuddin, 24, became sick after eating the noodles on the same day he bought it.
"My son vomited and suffered stomachache after eating the mee hoon," Sarif said.
"I also cooked the mee hoon for my grandson, but fortunately my grandson only ate a small portion.
"I later checked the expiry date and was shocked to see the words 'Best before 16082010' which means the noodles had expired for close to two years."
Sarif added said that he had bought two packs of the mee hoon, which comprised five packets of noodles each.
The noodles, he said, were packed in a factory in Bangkok.
"If the product had already expired, why was it still put on the shelf of the sundry shop?
"I admit that I was at fault for not checking the expiry date but the sundry shop owner has to be responsible, too," he said.
Sarif added that he would bring the matter to the Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry.