- MISSING MH370: Man claims possible sighting of airliner
- MISSING MH370: Raja Bomoh arrives to help find missing plane
- MISSING MH370: Investigators chasing 'every angle'
- MISSING MH370: How can jet disappear?
- MISSING MH370: Pilot: I established contact with plane
- MISSING MH370: Boeing joining Malaysia crash investigation
- MISSING MH370: Timeline of flight MH370
- MISSING MH370: Mystery deepens as oil, debris links ruled out
- UPDATE: Missing aircraft's pilot makes contact, rescue mission resumes
- MISSING MH370: A missing plane and emotional reunion on Twitter
- MISSING MH370: China 'deploys satellites' in search for Malaysia plane
- MISSING MH370: Help from bomohs must be in accordance to Islam
- MISSING MH370: MAS to allocate 31,000 Yuan financial assistance
- MISSING MH370 : Businessman who cancels flight shocked over missing MAS plane
- MISSING FLIGHT MH370: May the truth surface soon More
Dismiss negative remarks made against 1Malaysia Penang Welfare Club
George Town: The 1Malaysia Penang Welfare Club is appealing to the public to dismiss negative remarks made against the non-political charity drive it organised via a mega concert here last Saturday.
Its president Geh Choh Hun told a press conference yesterday (Tuesday) that certain people with ulterior motives had tried to stop several international artistes from coming to Malaysia to spread messages of stability, peace and prosperity.
"It is sad to see these people preaching hate and imposing their view on others. When they force their views on others, they are actually denying the people the right to take a different stand and this is very divisive."
Below is the full statement issued by the club during the press conference:
1. I wish to start by thanking Penangites for their 1Malaysia spirit which triumphed on Saturday night in the 1Malaysia Penang International Charity Drive.
2. This is a triumph of 101,002 people over the few, whose hate-Malaysia campaign failed to stop the 1Malaysia Penang International Charity Drive.
3. 75,000 tickets were redeemed, an additional 5,000 taken up at Han Chiang School and we opened up the doors to all for free after 8.30pm.
4. It is regrettable that certain people with ulterior motives had tried to stop our international artistes from coming to Malaysia to help spread our simple message of stability, peace and prosperity.
5. It is sad to see these people preaching hate, imposing their view on others. When they force their views on others, they are actually denying the people the right to take a different stand. It is very divisive.
6. It is more regrettable to see that these people are saying that they are DEMOCRATIC but take no ACTION in helping out with charity activities. They are however willing to be a PARTY to the smear campaign again a non-political charity drive and we do not understand why they want us to stop doing charity in the General Election.
7. For instance, when we asked for photocopies of the identity card, some people questioned the motive. Everything and anything that does not fit their mind-set is always wrong.
8. We have here with us the photocopies of the identity cards we collected. We will shred all this in your presence.
9. Of course, after shredding the photocopies, some people will say we had made copies of these photocopies. Such people will always see something sinister in everything that we do.
10. These people even put on blue T-shirts to mix with the crowd and spread lies at the concert.
11. Instead why not preach unity, peace and prosperity for all? It is a simple message easily understood by many.
12. This is the sincere objective of the 1Malaysia Penang Welfare Club founded to promote the vision of 1Malaysia. It is not a new concept or formula. This is a concept to foster unity amongst the various communities. For, a country can be strong and stable if only its people stand united. The ultimate goal of our club, like 1Malaysia, is national unity.
13. I am happy that amid the joy and fun in the sea of blue, we saw a clear signal from people coming out together for a night of music and fun. I saw in the 101,002 people, a reflection of a peace-loving nation.
14. Without a doubt, the trouble-free international concert underscores their desire for unity, peace and prosperity.
15. We have walked the talk as 101,002 people can testify that no speeches were delivered and not a single political slogan was displayed at the concert,as it was all about fun and enjoyment of music.
16. The total costs of organising the event is RM3,996,480.20. The US artistes not only performing for free but also donated US$50,000.00 each to the charity drive. The Asian and local artistes performed for substantially-reduced fees and some of our corporate sponsors not only gave out cash donations but also contributed in kind. Furthermore, our suppliers and agents also gave us substantial discounts for theirs goods and services.
17. In continuing with the Malaysian tradition of giving, we are pleased to announce that we collected RM5,354,569.00 from the 1Malaysia Penang International Charity Drive.
18. After discussing with our sponsors, the proceeds will be distributed in the following proportions:-
(i) 50 per cent of the proceeds will go equally to all secondary schools (Government and Private) in Penang;
(ii) 25 per cent of the proceeds will be distributed equally to all registered orphanage homes in Penang; and
(iii) The balance 25 per cent of the proceeds will be given equally to all registered old folks' homes in Penang.
19. We request all registered orphanage homes and old folks' homes in Penang to call 04-2288889 and register their interest in case we have missed out any one of them. We will verify theirs registration with the authorities before we hand out the proceeds.
20. Let us preserve all this so that we can continue to progress towards Vision 2020. We need to remain focused on the aspiration for a 1Malaysia where nobody will be left out, and where every community is served.
21. On our part, the 1Malaysia Penang Welfare Club will continue with its efforts to bring people together for the good of all.