- Karpal Singh's Death: Grandson dreamt about playing football with him
- MH370 Tragedy: Authorities roping in private companies assets to assist SAR
- Karpal Singh's Death: A picture of grief at the hospital
- MH370 Tragedy: Bluefin-21 completes 6th mission, 7th mission commences
- 'Johor won't budge on Friendship Bridge'
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Captain says evacuation delayed for safety
- Karpal Singh's Death: Lorry driver relates fatal accident
- Karpal Singh's Death: 'We are forever indebted to him', says Dr Wan Azizah
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Captain, crew members arrested
- MH370 Tragedy: Drone diving to record level in plane search
- Authorities searching for missing Singaporean ferry passenger
- Karpal Singh's Death: Pix gallery
- Everest Avalanche updates: Death toll reaches 13
- Karpal Singh's Death: Bukit Gelugor MP killed in crash, son injured
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Death toll rose to 32, Captain in custody More
PENGKALAN HULU: TWELVE hockey teams from Johor, Kuala Lumpur and various districts of Perak took part in the premier six-a-side hockey championship held at SM Tun Saban sports field here recently.
The inaugural championship for the Orang Besar Jajahan Hulu Perak Challenge Trophy was organised by Hulu Perak District Hockey Association.
Kilat Club (TNB) Kuala Lumpur emerged champions by defeating Kelab Sukan DBI-B 2-1 in the final.
The champions received the OBJ Hulu Perak Lt-Col (Rtd) Datuk Shaharudin Nazari Challenge Trophy and RM3,000, while the first runners-up received RM2,000.
Third-placed Kelab Sukan DBI-A, who beat Kelab Hoki Lumut 2-0 received RM1,000.
Shaharudin, who is the patron of the district hockey association, presented the medals and cash awards.
Hockey association president A. Damadram said the inaugural championship received good response.
"We are here to make the Hulu Perak district a prominent hockey district with the support of Shaharudin, who is the Pengkalan Hulu territorial chief," he said.
The participating teams were Persatuan Hoki Daerah Kinta (Baru), Intelmaha Logistics Johor, Kelab Hoki Lumut, Dolphin Navy, Perak Sikh Union, Kelab Sukan DBI-A & B, Saban Keroh, Kilat Club (TNB) KL, Keroh Tigers and Gerik A & B.
The teams were divided into two groups and played round-robin matches.
Present at the one-day event to lend moral support were former hockey Olympians Wong Choon Hin and K. Balasingam as well ex-national players, sisters Teh Siew Bee and Teh Siew Heng.