ALOR STAR: CHE Su Hanafiah is a very upset woman and so are some 50 of her neighbours in Kampung Kilang Kechil in Pendang near here.
Before the stains from last month's mud flood on their modest brick houses could disappear, the were hit by another round of mud flow in the wee hours on Wednesday.
Che Su, 68, and her neighbours, mostly her peers, said they have complained to the Pendang district land office but the problem has yet to be resolved.
"We cannot go through life like this not knowing when the mud flood will hit us again.
"We are mostly elderly people and we fear for our lives should a major mud flood occur," she said, referring to the latest mud flood which hit their homes at about 5.30am.
During last month's flooding, tonnes of loose earth were swept away from the nearby hill during a heavy downpour. When the rain stopped, the villagers were left to clear the 0.5m thick mud in their homes.
Fortunately, as in the first mud flood, nobody was injured.
They blamed their woes on a rock quarry, some 500m away from their houses.
One of Che Su's neighbours, Salbiah Ahyat, said before the quarry was set up two years ago, most of the villagers were free from mud floods.
"I am one of those unlucky villagers. A slightly prolonged rain and my house would be covered in mud," said the 48-year-old housewife whose house is closest to the quarry.
Che Su and her neighbours have spent thousands of ringgit replacing their furniture since the first mud flood hit their homes.
They are also worried that the two incidences could cause structural damage to their houses.
Meanwhile, a Pendang district land office spokesman, who declined to be named, said the quarry operations were stopped for two weeks after the villagers lodged a complaint soon after the first mud flood.
He said the drainage system in the village had also been upgraded.
"We have just recently allowed the quarry to resume operation.
"We will investigate the latest incident and may direct the quarry operator to suspend operations for the time being," he said.