FUTILE: However, he fails to prevent Ipoh City Council from demolishing it
IPOH : THE owner on an illegal food stall locked himself for an hour in his premises to prevent Ipoh City Council enforcement officers from demolishing his stall at Kampung Pengkalan Pegoh here recently.
However, all his efforts proved futile as the officers used a bulldozer to bring down the stall which had been operating for the past 17 years, in the presence of police personnel to avoid any untoward incidents.
In the 9am incident, owner Adnan Harun, who is in his 70s, refused to vacate his stall when the enforcement officers moved in.
Earlier, he and seven other stall owners were issued eviction notices by the Land and Mines Office as they had been occupying the state reserve land.
Following the directive, the council issued the first eviction notice in October last year. Adnan then appealed against the eviction.
The owner then received another notice from the council on March 29.
The last notice was issued one week before the demolition.
Adnan claimed he was forcefully pulled out from the stall before it was demolished.
"I was hoping that my appeal will be considered by the council. I am also unhappy that only my stall was demolished among seven others," said Adnan.
"Due to the actions of the council officers, I lost my source of income and suffered losses up to RM50,000."
Meanwhile, the council's Licensing and Enforcement department director Abdul Halim Saad said: "We had to demolish the stall as it is located at a dangerous spot along a busy road.
"We had issued notices but the owner ignored it."
The council suggested that all owners move to the Taman Desa food court which is about one kilometre away from the present site but the stall operators refused.
Halim said the council would take similar action against the other owners.