15 tourists killed in China bus plunge

0 comments

BEIJING: Fifteen tourists were killed and another 19 injured when their bus plunged into a ravine, Chinese authorities said — the latest deadly accident on the nation’s dangerous roads.

The incident happened on Saturday morning after the bus took a bend on a  highway in Shanxi province, the government of Jincheng city — where the  accident took place — said in a statement.

So far, 15 people have died and another 19 have been taken to hospital, it  said on Saturday, adding the bus had travelled from the neighbouring province  of Henan and the exact cause of the accident was still being investigated.

Photographs on the government’s news website showed rescuers hauling  passengers out of the 50-metre (165-feet) gorge on stretchers, some with blood  on their faces, with the bus lying on its side, its windows completely smashed.

China’s roads are notoriously dangerous, with traffic laws and safety  widely flouted.

Earlier this month at least 28 people were killed and dozens injured in  three separate bus crashes that occurred on a single day in southern China.

According to police statistics, around 70,000 people die and 300,000 more  are injured in road accidents every year in China, state media have reported.

But the World Health Organisation said in a recent study the true figure  was almost twice that number, citing hospital and medical clinic statistics.


Related Articles

Leave Your Comment


Leave Your Comment:

New Straits Times reserves the right not to publish offensive or abusive comments and those of hate speech, harassment, commercial promos and invasion of privacy. Your IP will be logged and may be used to prevent further submission.The views expressed here are that of the members of the public and unless specifically stated are not those of NST.