- 'We are ready to move forward'
- Low aims for bold anti-graft measures
- Nokia's affordable handphones
- GST implementation to add up to RM27b to Malaysia's income
- Clean water supply in Selangor, KL steadily decreasing: Syabas
- ‘Opposition chaos agenda’ claim
- Small fire sends smoke into 787 cabin in Boston
- Saiful, Nik Suryani to tie the knot
- Govt agency head held over 'khalwat'
- Chef detained in connection with wife's murder
- New Xbox more than a game console
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader
- Bollywood bad boy Dutt held in 'terrorist' jail cell: report
- Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen is the new President of BWF
- Bumiputeras can now afford to be involved in equity investments: Shahrir More
KUALA LUMPUR: Police have arrested four suspects, including a woman, believed to be involved in the kidnapping of Dutch schoolboy Nayati Shamelin Moodliar in operations in the Klang Valley and Perak.
The suspects, aged between 30 and 50, were detained in separate operations in Perak and Cheras, Selangor, between Sunday and yesterday. Sources said part of the RM300,000 ransom paid to secure the boy’s release last Thursday
was also recovered. Police also seized laptops and mobile phones said to be used to demand for ransom.
They said the suspects were arrested after several days of surveillance by a police task force headed by city Criminal Investigation Department chief Datuk Ku Chin Wah. “Operations are ongoing to apprehend another suspect,” one of the sources said. It is learnt that police picked up the suspects’ trail not long after Nayati, 12, was dropped off at the Rawang rest and recreation area on the North-South Expressway on Thursday morning.
The suspects had allegedly gone separate ways after collecting the ransom. “Investigations revealed that the suspects had been assigned different tasks in executing Nayati’s kidnap.
"Investigations revealed that the suspects had been assigned different tasks in executing Nayati's kidnap.
"One was tasked with kidnapping him, another hiding and taking care of him, one to negotiate with the parents and another to collect the ransom," the source disclosed.
Federal police Criminal Investigation Department director Datuk Seri Bakri Zinin is expected to reveal more details today.
Nayati was kidnapped on April 27 at 7.35am while walking to the Mont Kiara International School.
Witnesses said Nayati was bundled into a black Proton Gen. 2 by two men.
Reports of his abduction went viral within hours through social networking websites.
International press also carried reports.
Nayati's father, Sham Moodliar, a senior adviser in a business management consultancy firm, appealed to the kidnappers to release his son safely.
Within 24 hours of his abduction, the kidnappers made contact with Nayati's parents via a social networking website.
The initial ransom demand was RM1 million, although it was later negotiated down to RM300,000.
The parents were instructed to drop off the ransom at an undisclosed location in Cheras on Wednesday night.
Nayati was later dropped off along the highway at 7.55am last Thursday.