- MAS served beyond its normal duties: CEO
- 66,000 ICs issued to Sabah immigrants
- ‘ Accept reality, Anwar’
- Birthday outing takes tragic turn
- Mother, daughter stranded at airport
- Malaysia Airlines helps mum, child
- Zahid: Probe into Lahad Datu intrusion completed
- Mama proposes RM6,000 fee
- Guan Eng: State govt has the right to hold rally
- Malaysians easy target for London tricksters
- “I thought I knew him...”
- 'Rule of law crucial to nation's integrity'
- SUDIRMAN CUP: Kim Her stands by fading pair
- Water woes for KL, Selangor folk
- EPL: Wenger vows to spend More
KUALA LUMPUR: Pensioners Day will be celebrated on July 19 every year.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, who announced this yesterday, said the special day was chosen to show appreciation for the pensioners’ contributions in the development of the country.
Addressing more than 3,500 pensioners at the launch of the 1Malaysia Government Pensioners Club (Kupekmas) at Putra World Trade Centre here, Najib also thanked the group for their undivided support for the government.
“I am touched by your pledge to support the current government and me as the prime minister.
“But I would rather have your support because you truly believe that past and current leaders have done well in taking care of you as pensioners.” Najib said he wanted pensioners to support the existing administration because they had confidence in the leadership and not to curry favour.
“I don’t want support that’s merely given because I am the prime minister or to bodek (apple polishing). If you support us, it means we are really worthy of such support.” Najib agreed with Kupekmas president Datuk Omar Osman’s view that Malaysia had one of the best pension schemes.