- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- Respect rule of law, Karpal urged
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- Toddler drowns in pail of water
- ‘ Accept reality, Anwar’
- Mama proposes RM6,000 fee
- Malaysia Airlines helps mum, child
- 66,000 ICs issued to Sabah immigrants
- “I thought I knew him...”
- Mother and two-month-old baby died in after ramming into an electric pole
- 14 arrested for corruption offences
- Birthday outing takes tragic turn
- Epileptic woman who stayed alone found dead
- Investments up 44% More
KUCHING: Forty families at Lubok Antu, about 260km from here will have the benefit of a 24-hour free electricity supply generated by a 18.3-Kilowatt micro hydro system.
In a statement today, SIRIM Berhad, an agency under the Science, Technology and Innovation ministry, said it initiated the RM1 million project financed by the ministry's community innovation fund in 2009.
The handing over of the facility to the Sunok longhouse community in Kampung Sri Stamang 2 which had depended on a diesel generator set, was officiated by Science, Technology and Innovation deputy minister Datuk Fadillah Yusof.
Fadillah also presented an additional ministry allocation of RM41,000 for the electrical wiring to the longhouse.
Meanwhile, SIRIM Berhad president and chief executive Dr Zainal Abidin Mohd Yusof said the longhouse residents also helped out at the initial stage of the project and SIRIM Berhad has trained three of them in the maintenance of the micro hydro system. -- BERNAMA
HI ELM AO 08/06/2012 19-