- Anwar's creepy cameo
- Man sorry for assault on wife
- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Death of Mandela: Passing of a great leader
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final
- FLOOD: Flood victims at relief centres exceed 50,000
- 'Cult followers may be out for more hits'
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- Tribute to King of Thailand
- Floods fail to deter couple
- PM's speech inspirational, motivating'
- Indian court orders fresh trial for Bollywood's Khan
- Jln Cenderawasih permanently closed since Nov 15: DBKL
- 11,000 go without power in Terengganu
- European storm turns deadly, threatens huge tidal surge More
KUCHING: Forty families at Lubok Antu, about 260km from here will have the benefit of a 24-hour free electricity supply generated by a 18.3-Kilowatt micro hydro system.
In a statement today, SIRIM Berhad, an agency under the Science, Technology and Innovation ministry, said it initiated the RM1 million project financed by the ministry's community innovation fund in 2009.
The handing over of the facility to the Sunok longhouse community in Kampung Sri Stamang 2 which had depended on a diesel generator set, was officiated by Science, Technology and Innovation deputy minister Datuk Fadillah Yusof.
Fadillah also presented an additional ministry allocation of RM41,000 for the electrical wiring to the longhouse.
Meanwhile, SIRIM Berhad president and chief executive Dr Zainal Abidin Mohd Yusof said the longhouse residents also helped out at the initial stage of the project and SIRIM Berhad has trained three of them in the maintenance of the micro hydro system. -- BERNAMA
HI ELM AO 08/06/2012 19-