- MH370 Tragedy: Authorities hope to deploy more AUVs: Hishammuddin
- Karpal Singh's Death: A picture of grief at the hospital
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Transcript shows ferry captain delayed evacuation
- 'Johor won't budge on Friendship Bridge'
- MH370 Tragedy: Bluefin-21 completes 6th mission, 7th mission commences
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Captain, crew members arrested
- Karpal Singh's Death: Pix gallery
- Karpal Singh's Death: Lorry driver relates fatal accident
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Captain says evacuation delayed for safety
- MH370 Tragedy: Authorities roping in private companies assets to assist SAR
- MH370 Tragedy: Drone diving to record level in plane search
- Karpal Singh's Death: Bukit Gelugor MP killed in crash, son injured
- Karpal Singh's Death: "I told him to only go back this morning", says Gobind
- Karpal Singh's Death: Liong Sik describes Karpal as a cheeky student
- MH370 Tragedy: Search to be most costly ever at US$100mil: analysts More
Najib, DPM offer condolences to Azizan’s family
KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak offered his condolences to the family of former Kedah menteri besar Tan Sri Azizan Abdul Razak, who died in Alor Star yesterday.
“Al-Fatihah. Condolences to the family of Tan Sri Azizan Abdul Razak on his demise.
May his soul be blessed,” Najib said in his Twitter post.
Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, on behalf of the government, Umno and Barisan Nasional, also extended his condolences to Azizan’s family.
He said Azizan’s death was a loss to the country as he had contributed much to the nation’s development, especially in Kedah, during his tenure as menteri besar.
“On this score, we feel that his death is a loss; as a friend and a leader. Politics aside, we believe his death is a loss to us, as well,” he said after receiving Myanmar Parliament Speaker Thura U Shwe Mann at his office in Parliament here yesterday.
Muhyiddin said he knew Azizan and had visited him in hospital, adding that he prayed for Azizan’s soul tobe gathered among the faithful.
In Alor Star, Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah, Raja Permaisuri Agong Tuanku Hajah Haminah and Tengku Bendahara of Kedah Tan Sri Tunku Annuar Sultan Badlishah were among the dignitaries who paid their last respects on Azizan.
Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital deputy director Dr Noor Zaini Morad said Azizan was pronounced dead at 11.05am because of sepsis and multi-organ failure.
She said Azizan was in good condition after he was transferred from Penang Hospital on Aug 14.
However, she said, his condition deteriorated on Wednesday after he suffered a cardiac attack.
Azizan's body was brought to Masjid Nurul Ihsan in Jalan Langgar here for final prayers before being taken to Muasasah Darul Ulum cemetery in Pokok Sena, where he was buried next to the late Pas president, Datuk Fadzil Mohd Nor, upon his request.
Pas spiritual deputy leader Datuk Dr Haron Din led another round of prayers before the funeral at 3pm.
Menteri Besar Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir said Azizan's passing was a great loss to the country.
"He had contributed immensely to the state during his time as MB, regardless of his political affiliation."
Former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who was accompanied by his wife, Tun Dr Siti Hasmah Mohd Ali, said Azizan was a leading example of a leader who treated everyone equally, regardless of their political affiliations.
"He had worked tirelessly to engage all parties on issues that concerned the welfare of the people and the state." Additional reporting by Zahratulhayat Mat Arif and Teoh Pei Ying