- Police denied photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- ‘ Accept reality, Anwar’
- Respect rule of law, Karpal urged
- 66,000 ICs issued to Sabah immigrants
- Malaysia Airlines helps mum, child
- Mama proposes RM6,000 fee
- Mother and two-month-old baby died in after ramming into an electric pole
- Birthday outing takes tragic turn
- Epileptic woman who stayed alone found dead
- “I thought I knew him...”
- SUDIRMAN CUP: Kim Her stands by fading pair
- Water woes for KL, Selangor folk
- Police solved Pakistani murder
- Zahid: Probe into Lahad Datu intrusion completed
- Toddler drowns in pail of water More
KOTA KINABALU -- Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak is expected to announce the number of cover policies under the proposed group insurance scheme for hawkers and small time traders once the proposal on the scheme gets the green light from the Federal Cabinet.
Describing the scheme as a gift from the Prime Minister to the traders, Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob, said his ministry was actively collecting the list of hawkers and traders registered throughout the country to facilitate the implementation of the insurance scheme.
"We do not want to leave any trader's or hawker's name from the list. That is why we want the full list of hawkers and small traders registered in Sabah, Sarawak, Labuan and other states before the proposal paper on the scheme is presented to the Cabinet for approval."
Ismail Sabri said this in his speech during a meeting with the hawkers and traders associations from Sabah and Labuan here today.
He said the scheme would be of benefit to the hawkers and traders in the event of accidents.
Ismail Sabri said there were 34 associations for hawkers and small traders in Sabah with the number of registered members at 1,730.
He said the Federal Cabinet had also agreed to the formation of a state and national level Consultative Council for Hawkers and Small Traders which among others, will serve as a forum where assistance will be provided in the planning and formulation of policies or strategies to develop the sector. -- Bernama