- New PTPTN rules soon
- Lamborghini owners lodged report on evening of crash
- Moyes driving us mad!
- Josiah Ng out of intensive care, stable
- Half-naked body of girl found by roadside
- Islam to be religion of federation, says Najib
- Murder of 3 sisters: Mother pleas for stop on rumours
- 3 Lamborghinis up in flames
- Three Lamborghinis go up in flames in pile-up
- 2013 SEA GAMES: Malaysia wins first gold from Wushu
- PM, sultan to open bridge today
- Stiff Everton test for Gunners
- FLOOD: Victims in Dungun use tents at relief centres
- 8 injured as express bus overturns
- 'No place for Shia' More
KOTA KINABALU -- Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak is expected to announce the number of cover policies under the proposed group insurance scheme for hawkers and small time traders once the proposal on the scheme gets the green light from the Federal Cabinet.
Describing the scheme as a gift from the Prime Minister to the traders, Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob, said his ministry was actively collecting the list of hawkers and traders registered throughout the country to facilitate the implementation of the insurance scheme.
"We do not want to leave any trader's or hawker's name from the list. That is why we want the full list of hawkers and small traders registered in Sabah, Sarawak, Labuan and other states before the proposal paper on the scheme is presented to the Cabinet for approval."
Ismail Sabri said this in his speech during a meeting with the hawkers and traders associations from Sabah and Labuan here today.
He said the scheme would be of benefit to the hawkers and traders in the event of accidents.
Ismail Sabri said there were 34 associations for hawkers and small traders in Sabah with the number of registered members at 1,730.
He said the Federal Cabinet had also agreed to the formation of a state and national level Consultative Council for Hawkers and Small Traders which among others, will serve as a forum where assistance will be provided in the planning and formulation of policies or strategies to develop the sector. -- Bernama