- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- 2 Mamak Gang members nabbed over pharmacy hold-up in Subang
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Filthy, disabled children found at grim Australian incest farm
- Teen escapes rape attempt in mall
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- Anger over Mandela death 'picture'
- Queen Elizabeth went nuts over nibbles, court told
- Water cuts in Selangor, KL next week
- Cancer cases up 11%, breast cancer by a fifth: WHO
- Two cops arrested for rape of Indonesian woman
- 39 dead from plague in Madagascar: government
- Chong Wei cruises to victory
- 3 Japanese firms keen to participate in S'pore-KL rail link project: PM
- PM: Malaysia moving into 2nd phase of LEP More
KUALA LUMPUR: Police fired tear gas and sprayed water cannon after protestors broke through the barrier at Dataran Merdeka at about 3pm.
Earlier, the crowd flooded Jalan Tun Perak along with their leaders. The leaders told the crowd to sit down and protest but they instead charged through the police barricades.
Police then fired several rounds of tear gas while water cannon were deployed.
The supporters ran towards Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman and Jalan Tun Perak, towards Jalan Pudu.
FRU personnel, armed with batons and shields were then seen patrolling those roads to keep supporters away from Dataran Merdeka.
Police also made several arrests.
*Update: A mob attacked police car near Sogo. Car went out of control and crashed into an eatery, injuring several patrons. Protesters turning violent, throwing water bottles and tin cans at police.
Meanwhile, a TV Hijrah cameraman was attacked by protesters in front of Sogo when he took a footage of a policeman being whacked by the protesters at around 4.15pm. The cameraman suffered severe injuries to his head.
Bersih supporters are also making their way from Brickfields and Central Market.
Jalan Tun Perak right up to Jalan Raja filled with supporters waiting for instructions from their leaders. Datuk Ambiga and Chua Jui Meng spotted at Central Market carpark. They are being joined by large crowds coming in from Kotaraya side while Mat Sabu is at Masjid Negara.
FRU officers and water tankers are behind the barricades at Dataran Merdeka.
At 2.50pm, Datuk Ambiga and the opposition leaders told the crowd to disperse and left soon after that.