- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- Police capable of handling gathering in PJ - Ahmad Zahid
- 2 coaches leave Manchester United
- Police will appeal rejection of remand on trio, says Ahmad Zahid
- Paul Low resigns as Transparency International Malaysia president
- Five dead as police helicopter crashes in Venezuela
- Soccer: I got carried away with QPR, says ’naive’ Fernandes
- Opposition agreed to hold peaceful gatherings but did opposite - Zahid
- Malaysian couple joins Aussie's billionaire club
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square
- Potential water crisis in Selangor, KL, Putrajaya from July 2014
- Highway bridge collapses in US; people in water
- UK treating plane incident as criminal, not terror-related
- BANTING MURDERS: Judge praises police investigators More
KUALA LUMPUR: Police fired tear gas and sprayed water cannon after protestors broke through the barrier at Dataran Merdeka at about 3pm.
Earlier, the crowd flooded Jalan Tun Perak along with their leaders. The leaders told the crowd to sit down and protest but they instead charged through the police barricades.
Police then fired several rounds of tear gas while water cannon were deployed.
The supporters ran towards Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman and Jalan Tun Perak, towards Jalan Pudu.
FRU personnel, armed with batons and shields were then seen patrolling those roads to keep supporters away from Dataran Merdeka.
Police also made several arrests.
*Update: A mob attacked police car near Sogo. Car went out of control and crashed into an eatery, injuring several patrons. Protesters turning violent, throwing water bottles and tin cans at police.
Meanwhile, a TV Hijrah cameraman was attacked by protesters in front of Sogo when he took a footage of a policeman being whacked by the protesters at around 4.15pm. The cameraman suffered severe injuries to his head.
Bersih supporters are also making their way from Brickfields and Central Market.
Jalan Tun Perak right up to Jalan Raja filled with supporters waiting for instructions from their leaders. Datuk Ambiga and Chua Jui Meng spotted at Central Market carpark. They are being joined by large crowds coming in from Kotaraya side while Mat Sabu is at Masjid Negara.
FRU officers and water tankers are behind the barricades at Dataran Merdeka.
At 2.50pm, Datuk Ambiga and the opposition leaders told the crowd to disperse and left soon after that.