- 'We are ready to move forward'
- Low aims for bold anti-graft measures
- Nokia's affordable handphones
- GST implementation to add up to RM27b to Malaysia's income
- Clean water supply in Selangor, KL steadily decreasing: Syabas
- Govt agency head held over 'khalwat'
- Small fire sends smoke into 787 cabin in Boston
- ‘Opposition chaos agenda’ claim
- Saiful, Nik Suryani to tie the knot
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader
- Japan's elderly not acting their age
- Chef detained in connection with wife's murder
- Cool, cool hills
- Ferguson praises 'amazing' Beckham's longevity
- Cop, restaurant worker slashed More
KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak tonight launched Proton Holdings Bhd's first global car, called the Prevé (pray-vay) .
Also present were Proton adviser Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, Proton managing director Datuk Seri Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir, and Proton executive chairman Datuk Seri Mohd Khamil Jamil.
Prevé is derived from the English word Preve, which means to prove or offering proof.
Proton said the car is essentially its most technologically-advanced vehicle offered to the mass market to date.
The Prevé is offered in three variants: the Premium with 1.6 CFE engine mated with PROTON’s 7-speed ProTronic CVT, and two Executive variants utilising the 6-speed CVT transmission, and 5-speed manual transmission - both coupled with the the IAFM+ engine.
It is priced from RM72,990 on-the-road (Peninsular Malaysia) for the Premium variant, RM62,990 for the Executive CVT and RM59,990 for the Executive with manual transmission.
All variants come with a five-year or 150,000km warranty, whichever comes first.
Sharing the same platform as the Exora, the Prevé was designed, engineered and built in collaboration with several world renowned parties in tandem with the desire to manufacture a global car.
Syed Zainal said Proton had worked closely with its vendors and dealers to develop the car.
"The Prevé utilises up to 94 per cent components sourced from local vendors," he added.
The car is equipped with a Push Start button, LED lights, Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Anti-lockBraking System (ABS) and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), among others.