- CYCLING: Josiah in major crash
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- 5 Indian nationals killed in crash
- A town that's on its way to become a city
- First catenary traffic light launched
- 'Sound of Music' actress dies at 91
- Teenage boy drowns after getting trapped in quicksand
- Riot in Singapore's Little India
- 17 shoplots gutted in morning blaze
- Petronas reports major gas find
- Spanish 'ghost' airport goes up for sale
- 5 killed in crash
- House owners return to begin the big clean-up
- Rare riot shocks Singapore
- Neocolonialism of our place names More
KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak tonight launched Proton Holdings Bhd's first global car, called the Prevé (pray-vay) .
Also present were Proton adviser Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, Proton managing director Datuk Seri Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir, and Proton executive chairman Datuk Seri Mohd Khamil Jamil.
Prevé is derived from the English word Preve, which means to prove or offering proof.
Proton said the car is essentially its most technologically-advanced vehicle offered to the mass market to date.
The Prevé is offered in three variants: the Premium with 1.6 CFE engine mated with PROTON’s 7-speed ProTronic CVT, and two Executive variants utilising the 6-speed CVT transmission, and 5-speed manual transmission - both coupled with the the IAFM+ engine.
It is priced from RM72,990 on-the-road (Peninsular Malaysia) for the Premium variant, RM62,990 for the Executive CVT and RM59,990 for the Executive with manual transmission.
All variants come with a five-year or 150,000km warranty, whichever comes first.
Sharing the same platform as the Exora, the Prevé was designed, engineered and built in collaboration with several world renowned parties in tandem with the desire to manufacture a global car.
Syed Zainal said Proton had worked closely with its vendors and dealers to develop the car.
"The Prevé utilises up to 94 per cent components sourced from local vendors," he added.
The car is equipped with a Push Start button, LED lights, Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Anti-lockBraking System (ABS) and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), among others.