- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- 20 years on, no one forgets Highland Towers
- 2013 SEA GAMES: 8th day results involving Malaysia
- Najib leaves for Tokyo
- Mandela family 'humbled' by thousands turning out in cold, rain
- Tears as Mandela lies in state
- 11 commando trainees, 2 instructors to get Pingat Gagah Berani
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- Why judge those who help sincerely?
- Demolished without any warning
- RTD confiscates 24 vehicles in joint ops
- 'Anwar unfit to be leader'
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- Mukhriz launches Ansara Club
- Three nations close to joining Chemical Weapons Convention More
2009 PROBE: Statutory declaration cleared ex-DPM of allegedly stashing RM3b
PUTRAJAYA: A FORMER Anti-Corruption Agency (ACA) official has shed light on why he drafted the statutory declaration clearing Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim of allegedly stashing RM3 billion in foreign accounts and having links to Western interests.
Former ACA director of investigations Abdul Razak Idris claimed yesterday he was directed by the former deputy prime minister and finance minister to do so.
Speaking to the New Straits Times from Indonesia, Razak, who was involved in the 1999 investigations that were closed the following year, alleged that he was asked in 2009 by the ACA’s then chief, Datuk Seri Ahmad Said Hamdan, to stand in for the commission when the latter was subpoenaed by Anwar in a suit the opposition leader had initiated.
The ACA is the forebear of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission.
In the 2003 suit against The New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd (NSTP) and its former group editor-in-chief, Tan Sri Abdullah Ahmad, Anwar claimed that an article, titled “Anwar’s link to US lobbyist”, written by then NST managing editor Datin Rose Ismail and published on March 2, 2002, had defamed him.
Razak said Anwar had known that “there was no case” against him and that he had the upper hand in the case as all documents seized in the course of the investigations had been returned.
Razak, who left the service in 2004, said as he was subpoenaed as the plaintiff’s witness, he acceded to Anwar’s request to draw up the SD as he claimed Anwar had refused to put his statement down in an affidavit.
“He (Anwar) was afraid that I would turn hostile, so I was asked to make the SD and I tendered the SD when I was in the witness box.
“I was involved in the investigations, and in the course of the probe, so much was unearthed that by the time we were done, the investigation papers were about 1m high.
“Not having enough evidence to charge a person does not mean that the person being investigated is innocent. It can also mean that it is pointless to file charges as they will not stick in court.”
Commenting on Anwar using his SD to argue his case now, Razak said anyone in his position would do that.
Anwar’s media coordinator, Eekmal Ahmad, was surprised when asked to comment on Razak’s disclosure to the NST.
Eekmal asked how the NST had managed to contact Razak and whether any other media houses had similar details.
“We do not want to comment on this claim as we do not want to challenge Razak.
“For as long as the SD is not changed and Razak stands by the SD he made years ago, we don’t see any problem. An SD cannot be changed, otherwise Razak could be cited for perjury.”
To NST’s request that he ask Anwar to respond on the matter, Eekmal said: “If there is any response from Anwar, I will pass it to you immediately.”