- Saiful Bukhari marries TV3 personality Nik Suryani Megat Deraman
- M'sian couple on Aussie rich list
- 20 ancient tombs unearthed near China's 3 Gorges reservoir
- 'Only two solutions to avert disaster'
- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- Uphold Constitution, says PM
- Vintage Apple computer auctioned off for $668,000
- 'Gerakan should go back to its basics'
- University lecturers to boost English in schools
- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- Rosberg puts Mercedes on pole position for Monaco GP
- Malaysia targets 28 million foreign tourists next year - Nazri
- Fragments of biblical treasure are up for sale
- Thousands throng temples nationwide
- Reports: 27 indicted in Bari match-fixing inquiry More
KUALA LUMPUR: Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah and Raja Permaisuri Agong Tuanku Hajah Haminah attended the concert, 'Raja dan Rakyat Berpisah Tiada' at the Dataran Merdeka, here tonight.
The Royal couple were greeted on arrival by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and his wife, Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and his wife, Puan Sri Noorainee Abdul Rahman, cabinet ministers and foreign envoys.
The concert, including dance and martial arts performances by 632 participants from various cultural organisations, was held in conjunction with
the installation of the 14th and maertial arts persembahan penuh tradisi dan kebudayaan membabitkan tari Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
The show was divided into four major segments beginning with the Royal procession from the Dataran Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur to Dataran Merdeka, led by an elephant to the sound of the traditional horns.
This was the second time such a concert was being held after the first one during the installation of the 13th Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin.
Subsequently, Information Communication and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim recited the people's pledge of loyalty to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
The colourful show lasting about 90 minutes was also participated by popular artistes including Jamal Abdillah, Faizal Tahir and Noraniza Idris.
The programme, which was telecast live over Radio Televisyen Malaysia (RTM) and the Astro Ceria channel, was witnessed by about 15,000 people comprising locals and foreign tourists and concluded with a fireworks display.
Tuanku Abdul Halim was installed as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong at the Istana Negara on April 11, the second time after he was first installed in 1970. -- BERNAMA