- BANTING MURDERS: N. Pathmanabhan, three farm hands gets death
- BANTING MURDERS: Judge praises police investigators
- Trio detained for making seditious remarks
- Five dead as police helicopter crashes in Venezuela
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader
- BANTING MURDERS: Full Judgement
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- New passport improvement
- BANTING MURDERS: Guilty verdict brings closure for victims' families
- BANTING MURDERS: Chronology of events
- U.S. academics back BP in oil spill payouts battle
- MACC begins investigation on payment in under-age rape victim case
- Immigrations Dept keeping watchful eye over foreigners
- Graphic sex in applauded lesbian love story gets Cannes buzzing
- Probe into teachers using social websites to slander govt - Ahmad Said More
KUALA LUMPUR: Yemeni Prime Minister Mohamed Salem Basendowah has invited former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, credited with spearheading Malaysia’s tremendous economic growth during his 22-year administration, to be Yemen’s special economic adviser.
Dr Mahathir visited Yemen, an country in the southern part of the Arabian peninsula, on Thursday to seek clarification over Salem’s invitation to be his adviser, the Malaysian embassy in Sana’a said in a statement.
Dr Mahathir attended a lunch hosted by Salem and a meeting which was also attended by Yemen’s former prime ministers, members from the ruling and opposition parties, senior officials as well as a World Bank official.
Salem referred to Malaysia’s achievements and transformation from an agro-based economy to a developed nation as the “Malaysian Miracle", the mission said.
"He looks forward to gaining Dr Mahathir's insight on how to assist in rebuilding Yemen," the statement noted.
Dr Mahathir, it said, took the opportunity to share Malaysia's experience and policies implemented during his tenure as prime minister.
"Dr Mahathir told the Yemeni prime minister that he felt honoured to be invited as Yemen's special economic adviser," the statement said.
Salem was appointed prime minister on Dec 11 last year and is spearheading efforts towards national reconciliation in his country.
Dr Mahathir also called on Yemen President Abdu Rabu Mansur Hadi during the visit. Bernama