- Six people killed in an accident at Kampung Pandan
- Malaysian boy on holiday killed in front of mother
- Waterspouts spotted off Lido Beach in Johor
- Man high on wanted list shot dead by police
- Court dismisses defamation suit by Gardenia
- Malaysian sues U.S. govt
- India diplomat says she faced cavity search in NYC
- AirAsia X to buy 25 more A330-300S for US$6 billion
- Indian national and teenage woman found murdered in apartment
- 'No jobs for medical grads next year'
- Heavier prison sentence for policeman found guilty of incest
- Property bubble: fact or fantasy?
- Actress Azean Irdawaty dies
- Customs men among 11 held in raids
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier More
KUALA LUMPUR: Yemeni Prime Minister Mohamed Salem Basendowah has invited former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, credited with spearheading Malaysia’s tremendous economic growth during his 22-year administration, to be Yemen’s special economic adviser.
Dr Mahathir visited Yemen, an country in the southern part of the Arabian peninsula, on Thursday to seek clarification over Salem’s invitation to be his adviser, the Malaysian embassy in Sana’a said in a statement.
Dr Mahathir attended a lunch hosted by Salem and a meeting which was also attended by Yemen’s former prime ministers, members from the ruling and opposition parties, senior officials as well as a World Bank official.
Salem referred to Malaysia’s achievements and transformation from an agro-based economy to a developed nation as the “Malaysian Miracle", the mission said.
"He looks forward to gaining Dr Mahathir's insight on how to assist in rebuilding Yemen," the statement noted.
Dr Mahathir, it said, took the opportunity to share Malaysia's experience and policies implemented during his tenure as prime minister.
"Dr Mahathir told the Yemeni prime minister that he felt honoured to be invited as Yemen's special economic adviser," the statement said.
Salem was appointed prime minister on Dec 11 last year and is spearheading efforts towards national reconciliation in his country.
Dr Mahathir also called on Yemen President Abdu Rabu Mansur Hadi during the visit. Bernama