- Riot in Singapore's Little India
- Cars burnt as workers riot in Singapore's Little India
- 5 Indian nationals killed in crash
- New Miss France says proud of 'cosmopolitan' country
- Murder of 3 sisters: Mother pleas for stop on rumours
- New PTPTN rules soon
- Josiah Ng out of intensive care, stable
- Boat with 13 commandos feared capsized
- Former RMAF chief Mohamed Ngah dies
- Three Lamborghinis go up in flames in pile-up
- US singer wows in 'Arabs Got Talent' show
- Islam to be religion of federation, says Najib
- 'No place for Shia'
- Lamborghini owners lodged report on evening of crash
- Hockey: Malaysian Juniors qualify for quarter-finals at Junior World Cup More
KUALA LUMPUR: Yemeni Prime Minister Mohamed Salem Basendowah has invited former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, credited with spearheading Malaysia’s tremendous economic growth during his 22-year administration, to be Yemen’s special economic adviser.
Dr Mahathir visited Yemen, an country in the southern part of the Arabian peninsula, on Thursday to seek clarification over Salem’s invitation to be his adviser, the Malaysian embassy in Sana’a said in a statement.
Dr Mahathir attended a lunch hosted by Salem and a meeting which was also attended by Yemen’s former prime ministers, members from the ruling and opposition parties, senior officials as well as a World Bank official.
Salem referred to Malaysia’s achievements and transformation from an agro-based economy to a developed nation as the “Malaysian Miracle", the mission said.
"He looks forward to gaining Dr Mahathir's insight on how to assist in rebuilding Yemen," the statement noted.
Dr Mahathir, it said, took the opportunity to share Malaysia's experience and policies implemented during his tenure as prime minister.
"Dr Mahathir told the Yemeni prime minister that he felt honoured to be invited as Yemen's special economic adviser," the statement said.
Salem was appointed prime minister on Dec 11 last year and is spearheading efforts towards national reconciliation in his country.
Dr Mahathir also called on Yemen President Abdu Rabu Mansur Hadi during the visit. Bernama