- MISSING MH370: Timeline of flight MH370
- MISSING MH370: Loud noise reported, believed linked to missing plane
- MISSING MH370: Search for missing jet covers mountainous, forest areas
- MISSING MH370: Aviation expert suggest 6 reasons for disappearance
- MISSING MH370: Pilot: I established contact with plane
- MISSING MH370: Man claims possible sighting of airliner
- MISSING MH370: Raja Bomoh arrives to help find missing plane
- UPDATE: Missing aircraft's pilot makes contact, rescue mission resumes
- MISSING MH370: Military says missing jet changed course
- MISSING MH370: Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- MISSING MH370: Family members of passengers coping well with situation
- MISSING MH370: Chinese film stunt man on missing flight
- MISSING MH370: Terrorism cannot be ruled out : CIA
- MISSING MH370: Unlikely to be terrorist event: Interpol head
- MISSING MH370: Airline probing report 2 visited cockpit in 2011 More
INSENSITIVE: rais criticises google for not removing anti-islam movie clip from listing altogether
KUALA LUMPUR: GOOGLE Malaysia has blocked access to the anti-Islam movie clip that insulted Prophet Muhammad and Islam.
A local YouTube spokesman said the 13-minute trailer on Innocence of Muslims, a low-budget American movie allegedly produced by Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, a Coptic Christian, was blocked following complaints by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).
“We have clear community guidelines and when videos breach those rules, we remove them,” he said in an email statement to the New Straits Times yesterday.
He said when Google, which owned the popular online video-sharing site, was notified that a video was illegal in a particular country, access to it would be restricted after a thorough review.
Information, Communications and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim described YouTube as being insensitive to the anguish of Muslims the world over by not removing the film clip from its listing altogether.
Raissaidfreespeechdidnotincludecausing or creating hatred among Muslims against those who debase their religion.
Given the widespread protests in the Islamic world, he said, YouTube had every reason to remove the anti-Islam film from its listing.
“YouTube appears to be oblivious to the tumult it has caused. The owner of YouTube does not deserve to be spared the ire of Muslims or the long arm of the law," he told Bernama.
Rais said the public prosecutor had every right under the Penal Code to book quarters who caused disharmony, disunity or feelings of enmity, hatred or ill-will on grounds of religion between groups of persons.
He said the powers of the authorities under the Communications and Multimedia Act (MCMC) could also be invoked.
MCMC was reported to have asked Google on Saturday to remove the movie clip.
Google has also banned access of the film in Libya, Indonesia, Egypt and India but refused to take it down, citing that it was widely available on the web.
The film, initially titled Innocence of Bin Laden, was reportedly shown only once to a small audience at a rented theatre in Hollywood, but the clip was uploaded to YouTube with the titles The Real Life of Muhammad and Muhammad Movie Trailer last month.