Domino's Pizza Malaysia joins largest international Domino's group

KUALA LUMPUR: Domino's Pizza Malaysia will become part of the largest Domino's network outside of the United States (US) via an acquisition by Domino's Pizza Enterprises Ltd (DPE), an Australian-based group which operates more than 3,400 Domino's stores in ten markets around the world.

DPE has signed a binding agreement with Mikenwill (M) Sdn Bhd, which owns 100 per cent of Dommal Food Services Sdn Bhd, the master franchise holder in Malaysia, Impress Foods Pte Ltd, which owns 100 per cent of Domino's Pizza Singapore and 65 per cent of Domino's Pizza Cambodia, as well as with minority shareholders in Cambodia for the remaining 35 per cent stake.

DPE will acquire the entire stake of the Domino's Pizza businesses in Malaysia, Singapore, and Cambodia, comprising 287 corporate stores across these markets.

The binding agreement entails the acquisition of the corporate stores and franchise rights held by Mikenwill and Impress Foods.

The acquisition is expected to be completed by the end of 2022.

Domino's Pizza Malaysia, Singapore, and Cambodia group chief executive officer (CEO) Ba U Shan-Ting said the company is excited for the next phase of evolution for Domino's Pizza in Malaysia and the region.

"In tandem with this, we aim to expand the number of stores to more than 600 over the long term, setting us on the path to becoming the largest pizza chain in the three countries," he said.

The team in Malaysia, led by Domino's Pizza Malaysia CEO Shamsul Amree, will continue to serve its Malaysian customers.

Domino's Pizza Malaysia is the largest Domino's market in Southeast Asia, managed by Dommal Food Services Sdn Bhd with 240 stores in the country, while Impress Foods Pte Ltd operates the Singapore and Cambodia markets with 38 and 9 stores, respectively.

"Our team will become part of the largest Domino's network outside the US, giving us access to new technology and operational innovations that will propel our services to new heights.

"Leveraging our in-depth understanding of our local market segment and driven by our commitment to our customers, we aim to elevate an enhanced end-to-end experience with new global capabilities, including marketing and menu innovation, to efficiently serve the most delicious meals to our customers.

"We look forward to working closely with the leadership team of DPE Asia Pacific CEO Josh Kilimnik and current Belgium CEO Ringo Joannes," Shan-Ting said.

DPE group CEO and managing director Don Meij said the company has seen remarkable growth in the Malaysian market and admires the Malaysian team's commitment, agility, and drive, spearheaded by its leadership team.

"Their love for the brand and, equally important, their pledge to their customers are key contributing factors to their success in growing the business and serving customers, especially during the challenging times of the pandemic.

"Opening more stores here will help us reach more communities and reduce our delivery times by bringing our stores closer to our customers.

"We look forward to welcoming more than 3,000 team members into the family while we present new employment opportunities with the upcoming expansion plans. The future of our business is in delivery.

"We are optimistic about the prospects and potential of the Malaysian market, and we intend to work closely with the Malaysian team to develop new ways of safely reducing delivery times, so the meals that customers receive are restaurant quality, using delicious ingredients, at an affordable price as we continue to serve Malaysians' favourite pizzas from us," Don Meij said.

DPE's latest strategic acquisition of Malaysia, Singapore, and Cambodia is in line with its ongoing expansion plans, particularly in Asia.

DPE's impressive track record is reflected in its extensive international footprint, which began in the Australian market. Taiwan is the most recent addition to its portfolio, bringing its total presence to 13 countries worldwide.

DPE aims to achieve a store count of 3,000 stores in Asia by 2033.

Most Popular
Related Article
Says Stories