Crime & Courts

Police, TNB bust largest electricity theft case in Perak this year [NSTTV]

IPOH: The police and Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) have busted the largest electricity theft case in Perak this year, involving a loss of about RM1.3 million.

This is following a 12.30pm raid conducted by the Bukit Aman and Perak contingent police headquarters, assisted by TNB at a frozen food factory in Hutan Melintang on Monday.

Perak police chief Datuk Mohd Yusri Hassan Basri said that the factory was suspected of using electricity illegally through renovations in the TNB substation room since 2016.

"The factory should pay a monthly bill of RM90,000 , however, after some modification, they only pay RM15,000," he said in a press conference at Perak contingent police headquarters here, today.

Mohd Yusri said the factory had been slapped with RM20,000 compounds five times before for stealing electricity.

He said during the raid, police also arrested a 31-year-old local man believed to be the factory's supervisor; and 57 foreign workers from Myanmar, Indonesia, Vietnam and Bangladesh for not having valid documents.

"The local man and all foreigners have been remanded for four and 14 days, respectively," he said.

The case is being investigated under Section 427 of the Penal Code, Section 37(3) of the Electricity Supply Act 1990 and Section 56(1)(d) of the Immigration Act 1959/63.

Most Popular
Related Article
Says Stories