Daily Covid-19 infections jump to 14,944

KUALA LUMPUR: Covid-19 infections have jumped to 14,944 cases on Saturday from 11,994 reported on April 7.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said cumulative cases now stood at 4,307,529.

He said of the fresh cases, 0.44 per cent were in Categories 3, 4 and 5, while the remaining 99.56 per cent were Categories 1 and 2 cases.

"Of the 66 Category 3, 4 and 5 cases, 35 cases involved individuals who had received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, 20 cases comprised patients who had received their booster shots, while 11 cases were unvaccinated or were only injected once.

"Half of the cases involved those who are aged 60-years-old and above and 32 cases have comorbidities," he said in a statement today.

Dr Noor Hisham said 14,045 recoveries were reported yesterday, taking the total to 4,113,831 or 95.5 per cent.

"Currently, 206 Covid-19 cases are warded at intensive care units (ICU) of which 109 require ventilator support," he added.

He said two new clusters – one education cluster and one workplace cluster - were identified yesterday.

Meanwhile, he said 507 Covid-19 cases were admitted to hospitals yesterday, comprising 296 Categories 1 and 2 cases and 211 Categories 3, 4 and 5 cases.

He said that at the same time, 557 cases were discharged from hospitals.

He said 25 per cent of the Covid-19 beds are currently used, 24 per cent of the ICU beds are utilised and five per cent of the Covid-19 quarantine and treatment centre (PKRC) beds are occupied.

Data on CovidNow showed that there are 158,439 active cases presently.

Almost 98 per cent of the cases are under home quarantine, 1.9 per cent are hospitalised, 0.2 per cent treated at PKRCs and 0.2 per cent warded at ICUs.

The coronavirus claimed 31 lives yesterday, including six brought in-dead cases.

Most Popular
Related Article
Says Stories