7,739 new Covid-19 cases yesterday

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia reported 7,739 new Covid-19 cases yesterday, marking the second day of fresh infections below the 10,000 mark.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the cumulative count for Covid-19 cases now stood at 4,333,557.

He, however, continued sounding the alarm for the public not to be complacent as the number of admissions for patients under Categories 1 and 2 had shown a slight increase.

"There were high-risk cases coming from patients under these two categories which required hospitalisation; as well as quarantine and treatment centre (PKRC) admissions as precautionary measures.

"There was a slight increase in hospital admissions yesterday, with 427 patients admitted compared to 382 patients on April 10.

"A total 240 patients out of 427 are those under Categories 1 and 2, while the remaining 187 are under Categories 3,4 and 5," he said in a statement, today.

At the moment, he said, the number of patients treated in intensive care units (ICU) remained at 174.

"However, the number of patients ventilated increased by one, making it 102 now".

He said 7,672 patients (99.13 per cent) are patients under Categories 1 and 2, while the remaining 67 patients (0.87 per cent) are under Categories 3,4 and 5.

"Twenty-four of 67 patients under Categories 3,4 and 5 were either unvaccinated or only received one vaccine dose, while 16 were vaccinated with no booster shots and the remaining 27 are vaccinated with booster shots.

"Of the total cases recorded yesterday, 36 patients are senior citizens aged 60 and above, 42 are patients with comorbidities and one patient was pregnant".

Dr Noor Hisham said 19 patients died of Covid-19 on April 11, making it 35,311 cumulative deaths as of now.

"A total 19,049 patients recovered yesterday, raising the total number of recoveries to 4,163,777".

On hospital bed utilisation, Dr Noor Hisham said 24 per cent of 11,700 normal beds are currently used, and 20 per cent of 861 ICU beds used, while four per cent of 7,056 PKRC beds are occupied.

"Currently, there are 126 active Covid-19 clusters nationwide, including two detected yesterday.

"This brings the cumulative total of clusters to 6,952 detected in the last two years, with 6,826 of them ended".

According to the Health Ministry's CovidNow data-sharing website, a total 67.7 per cent of the adult population in the country, or 15,933,049 people have been boosted as of April 11.

A total 164,375 children aged 5 to 11-years-old have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine while 1,368,326 or 38.5 per cent of children had received one dose.

Most Popular
Related Article
Says Stories