New Covid-19 cases remain above 3,000-mark for third consecutive day

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia logged 3,471 Covid-19 cases yesterday, making it the third consecutive day fresh infections were above the 3,000-mark since the 2,478 cases reported on Monday.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the cumulative cases have inched up to 4,440,383 cases.

He said 98 out of the total cases reported yesterday were patients treated in the intensive care unit (ICU), while the number of patients requiring respiratory assistance remain consistent at 63 since Monday.

"A total 3,444 cases (99.22 per cent) of the total reported yesterday were patients under Categories 1 and 2, while the remaining 27 cases (0.78 per cent) are patients from Categories 3,4 and 5.

"Out of the 27 patients from Categories 3,4 and 5, five of them were either unvaccinated or partially vaccinated, 13 were vaccinated with no booster shots and the remaining nine were vaccinated with booster shots," he said in a statement, today.

Dr Noor Hisham said there were 161 Covid-19 patients admitted to hospitals yesterday, with 74 of them being patients under Categories 1 and 2, and 87 from Categories 3,4 and 5.

"A total 15 per cent of 10,1599 Covid-19 normal beds at hospitals are being utilised as of yesterday, while 13 per cent of 752 ICU beds are occupied.

"One per cent out of 5,446 beds at Covid-19 Quarantine and Treatment Centres (PKRC) centres are being occupied as of now," he said.

He said 6,900 Covid-19 patients recovered yesterday, making it 4,346,421 recoveries reported so far.

Dr Noor Hisham said with the recoveries reported above 5,000 consistently, the total Covid-19 active cases have decreased to 58,437, with its infectivity rate (RT-value) at 0.70.

He said there were six deaths reported yesterday, pushing the national death toll to 35,525.

"There was one death each reported in Johor, Melaka, Penang and three in Selangor.

"The death reported in Penang and Selangor was confirmed as a brought-in-dead (BID) case.

"From the cumulative death toll reported, 28,005 deaths were inpatient while 7,520 were BID cases.

According to the ministry's open-source data sharing website GitHub, a total 16,024,957 people have received their booster doses as of yesterday (April 27).

However, the percentage of the first dose recipients remains at 68.1 per cent of the overall population.

"A total 785,432 children aged 5 to 11 have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine while 1,511,678 or 42.6 per cent of children have received one dose.

"There are 34,833 Covid-19 vaccine doses administered on daily basis.

"In total, there were 70,197,502 vaccine doses administered as of April 27".

The ministry also reported a total 74,902 Covid-19 screenings being carried out daily, with a 9.2 per cent positivity rates reported.

Most Popular
Related Article
Says Stories