PUTRAJAYA: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has warned Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin not to challenge him to expose evidence behind the alleged misappropriation of government funds.
Anwar, at his first press conference after clocking in as Finance Minister today, said there were processes and procedures that were not followed during the Perikatan Nasional government.
He also revealed that companies with interest "involving families" were involved.
"I want to remind Muhyiddin, don't challenge (me).
"I want to focus my attention on governing the country, drive economic growth and provide welfare to the people.
"(But) once we are challenged, we will have to look into things," he said.
Anwar yesterday said there were serious breaches of procedure in government spending during Muhyiddin's administration.
He said this included excessive procurements, high markups as well as the money going to certain parties.
Parti Amanah Negara (Amanah) election machinery chief, Sany Hamzan had previously pushed for a Roya Commission of Inquiry (RCI) to be established investigate the alleged spending of RM600 billion in emergency funds during Muhyiddin's administration.
Sany, who is also Hulu Langat member of parliament, had lodged a police report regarding the matter on Nov 30.
The controversy regarding the RM600 billion spent during the Covid-19 pandemic was initially raised by former Melaka Chief Minister Adly Zahari on Nov 15.
He had said that Pakatan Harapan (PH) would investigate Muhyiddin if the party's coalition succeeds in forming a government after GE15.
Muhyiddin, however, insisted that all the money was spent to help the people during the pandemic and that all expenses were undertaken in accordance to the set procurement policy.