Name: Tanalaksiumy Mahenthiran Rayer
Occupation: Student / national track athlete
1. WHAT IS YOUR FITNESS AIM?
To enhance my stamina and endurance. Better endurance gives me a positive energy which helps me to achieve my daily goals and tasks.
2. WHAT IS YOUR WEEKLY EXERCISE ROUTINE LIKE?
I do cardiovascular exercises such as running, aerobics and swimming. I also perform weight training every day.
3. ARE YOU A GYM JUNKIE OR OUTDOOR EXERCISER?
I'm a fan of both! The gym makes me feel stronger especially when I'm able to lift heavier things or achieve more repetitions. Outdoor exercises challenge me and give me an adrenaline rush.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE WORKOUT?
Running at night or very early in the morning. Besides increasing my stamina, running helps get my mind off a long day or the people around me.
5. HOW DO YOU GET OVER BEING TOO LAZY TO EXERCISE?
First, I have to keep reminding myself how procrastination affects my performance. Second, I practise time management. Third, I change my perspective about the task at hand and look beyond the outcome. Fourth, I commit myself to the task and fifth, I stay positive.
6. WHAT IS THE MOST DRASTIC THING YOU’VE DONE WHEN IT COMES TO EXERCISE?
Exercised at midnight because I couldn’t sleep. I do that when I am anxious or nervous.
7. HOW LONG DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT?
I try to get as much rest as I can so that I can perform better the next day.
8. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU DO AFTER WAKING UP IN THE MORNING?
Drink lots of water. It makes me feel good, cool and fresh.
9. YOUR TYPICAL BREAKFAST?
Two half boiled eggs with a bowl of oats/cereal/granola/muesli filled with fruit and honey. I’ll also have a glass of fresh juice or milk.
10. DO YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC WHILE EXERCISING?
Definitely, especially during tough workout sessions. Music calms me. It diverts my attention and gives me a good feel to continue my workout without stress or pressure.
11. HOW DO YOU PREVENT INJURY?
By doing proper warming up and cooling down. Having a proper meal before exercising can also help strengthen the muscles and helps one endure the workout.
12. YOUR ADVICE TO GET PEOPLE TO EXERCISE?
There’s a saying that one’s biggest wealth is not money but health. So go exercise to show how much you love and value yourself.
13. WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE WORKOUT MEMORY?
When my first coach used to join me during my long morning and evening runs. Whenever I felt like giving up, especially on slopes and hills, he would always support me and make sure that I reached the top and completed the run.
14. WHAT HAS EXERCISE TAUGHT YOU?
I think exercise in general teaches us to allow time for ourselves and to learn to love and appreciate our bodies. Exercise boosts my confidence and makes me feel empowered to achieve more in life.