KUALA LUMPUR: Twenty one Malaysian students were injured in a hostel fire in Russian capital Moscow last night.

A statement received from Wisma Putra said the 11.30pm Moscow time (4.30am Malaysia) incident last night happened at an off-campus hostel of the Russian National Research Medical University (RNRMU).

"The incident saw 35 students, including 21 Malaysians, injured and rushed to three hospitals here.

"Out of the 21, seven are still receiving treatment for Carbon Monoxide poisoning and burns.”

It listed the students as: Mohannan Pattu, Pavin Raaj Selva Kumar, Praveena Sunthar Raj, Chen Wei Jun, Naveen Anbalakan, Zainal Nastaiin and Sharath Raj.

The others received outpatient treatments.

A spokesman from the Malaysian Embassy in Moscow said the warded victims are conscious and their conditions are not life threatening.

They are being treated at Hospital Number 36, Pirogov Hospital, and Sklifofosovskogo Hospital.

The spokesman said the victims' families have been notified of the incident, and the embassy will keep them updated of the students' conditions.

He said the ambassador to Moscow Datuk Zainol Abidin Omar will meet with Malaysian students affected by the blaze at 4.30pm local time today to see their condition and needs.