LEE Chong Wei, who is alleged to have failed a doping test at the World Championships in Copenhagen in August, is likely a victim of circumstances.
A source revealed yesterday that Chong Wei had told him (the source) that he did not consume anything suspected to be illegal and was not under any medication.
“He told me that he was not under any medication during the World Championships and therefore did not fill the TUE (therapeutic use exemption) application form.
“The only treatment he underwent prior to the meet, was in July, where he was injected with stem cells for his muscle injury.”
It is learnt that the World No 1, who underwent treatment at a local sports medical centre in July, suspects that some other substance had been mixed with the stem cells which by themselves are anti-inflammatory and contain no steroids.
“He feels that something may have been mixed, and it is really sad, because he was unaware of it,” the source added.
Efforts to contact Chong Wei proved futile, and it is understood that he is now on holiday overseas.
The sports ministry and the National Sports Institute have not announced the name of the athlete involved in the doping case, and will only do so after the test results for the B sample is out.
Chong Wei’s A sample, taken during the World Championships in Copenhagen, has been sent to a lab in Oslo, Norway where it is alleged to have tested positive. The testing for B sample is usually conducted at the same lab where the A sample was tested.
Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin, however, confirmed on Tuesday that the athlete had requested to be present to witness the opening of the B sample.
Khairy said the Badminton World Federation will inform the BA of Malaysia on the approved date for the testing of the B sample.