Close ↓
Blood stain at the site of an attack at a Puchong night club, where eight people were injured. Pix by Saddam Yusoff

SUBANG JAYA: Police are investigating whether the incident which took place at a nightclub in Puchong last night was due to business rivalry or revenge.

This comes in the wake of evidence which showed that the explosive used in the attack was a hand grenade, not a petrol bomb as initially thought.

Selangor police deputy chief Datuk Abdul Rahim Jaafar said they are investigating the incident - which saw eight people including four women injured - from all possible angles.

Police investigating the site of the attack which took place at a night club in Puchong early this morning. Pix by Saddam Yusoff

These include checks on whether the attack was motivated by business rivalry, revenge or aimed at individuals who were among the club patrons.

Initial investigation showed that the grenade was tossed into the club's outer terrace from the roadside.

"The incident happened about 2.12am when the victims were watching a football match at the premises.

"Initial investigation revealed that suspect, or suspects, had tossed a hand grenade towards the patrons before it exploded, injuring four men and four women including a foreigner.

"One of the victims - a local man, was seriously injured in the incident," he told reporters at the scene this morning.

Abdul Rahim said the victims were rushed to the Serdang and Sunway hospitals, where they were warded for treatment.

He said the case is being investigated as attempted murder, and police are combing through all CCTV recordings from the surrounding area to find clues on the suspects.

He also urged those with information on the incident to contact police immediately.

Meanwhile, Federal police’s Special Branch Counter-Terrorism Division (SB-CTD) principal assistant director Datuk Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay said the incident is being investigated from all angles. He did not discount the possibility that it could have been a terrorism act.

Ayob was also asked on a Facebook post purportedly by a Malaysian Islamic State member, who claimed that the attack was carried out by the group's members in Malaysia.

Ayob said the claim has yet to be verified.

Close ↓