Police today refuted claims that racial violence will erupt at the Malaysia Day parade on Sept 16. A seditious message, being circulated on social media, claimed that attacks had been planned to enable an emergency to be declared, which would suit a political agenda. (File pix)

KUALA LUMPUR: Police today refuted claims that racial violence will erupt at the Malaysia Day parade on Sept 16.

A seditious message, being circulated on social media, claimed that attacks had been planned to enable an emergency to be declared, which would suit a political agenda.

The message also advised Chinese and Indians to remain home on Sept 16 and to stock up on necessities in anticipation of racial violence.

Federal police corporate communications head Datin Asmawati Ahmad today slammed the irresponsible act of distributing the message, and stressed that the claims made were absolutely baseless.

The message, she said, is being spread by quarters out to jeopardise public harmony and undermine public order.

“Spreading unfounded and unverified information such as this could sow distrust, discord and disharmony amongst the country's multi racial society,” she said.

Asmawati warned that those who spread the rumours, could face charges under Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act 1948 and Section 233(1) of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 for seditious tendencies and improper use of network facilities or services.

The public have also been advised to contact the relevant authorities to verify the authenticity behind such circulated messages.