KUALA LUMPUR: Activist Lena Hendry is facing a jail sentence of up to three years or a fine of up to RM30,000 or both after the magistrate's court today convicted her of screening a documentary on the Sri Lankan civil war without prior approval from the Film Censorship Board (LPF).
Lena, 32, who was standing in the dock, looked disappointed when magistrate Mohd Rehan Mohd Aris delivered the verdict.
"After thorough deliberation of the evidences, the court finds that the defence has failed to raise a reasonable doubt in the prosecution's case. Therefore the accused is found guilty of the offence," Mohd Rehan said.
However, the magistrate fixed March 22, for sentencing after Lena's counsel New Sin Yew asked for some time to submit on her mitigation.
The court ordered for both parties to file a written submissions by March 1.
After the proceeding, Lena told reporters that she was very disappointed with the judgement and that she will be filing an appeal against the decision.
On March 10, last year, the magistrate's court here acquitted and discharged Lena without having her defence called.
However, on Sept 21, the same year, the High Court overturned her acquittal and ordered her to enter defence.
Lena who is a former programme coordinator for Pusat KOMAS, a human rights organisation, was charged on Sept 19, 2013 with screening a documentary entitled "No Fire Zone: The Killing Fields of Sri Lanka" without approval from the Censorship Board.
She was accused of committing the offence at the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall here, at 9pm on July 3, 2013.
Her charge was under Section 6(2)(a) of the Film Censorship Act 2002.
Deputy public prosecutor Nurakmal Farhan Aziz prosecuted.