Close ↓
Police have obtained a four-day remand order against two factory bus drivers involved in a fatal crash at Km147 of the North-South Expressway. Pix courtesy of NST reader

SEBERANG PRAI: Police have obtained a four-day remand order against two factory bus drivers involved in a fatal crash at Km147 of the North-South Expressway this morning.

Both drivers, aged 23 and 37, will be remanded until Friday to assist in investigation.

Seberang Prai Tengah police chief Assistant Commissioner Nik Ros Azhan Nik Abdul Hamid said the younger driver had three warrant of arrests issued against him previously for driving without driver’s licence, beating the red light and not wearing a seat belt.

He said checks on the other driver showed he has no previous record.

“They were arrested soon after the accident. We will be taking their urine and blood samples for testing. Once that is done, we will able to reveal further information,” he said.

Eight factory workers were killed while more than 40 others were injured in the crash.

Seven others escaped unhurt.

Nine people were being treated in the red zone, 21 in the yellow zone and seven in the green zone.

All the deceased, including a local, were females.

Meanwhile, Nik Ros Azhan said they had identified the last deceased as Titik Katinengsih from Indonesia.

The other deceasedwere identified as Indonesians Serlia, 21; Tumangger Resni, 22; Yeni, 20; Sartika Pasaribu, 19; Wami Windasih, 19, and Faridah, 18.

The sole Malaysian killed in the crash was Noriah Kasa, 40, from Parit Sungai Dungun, Bagan Serai, Perak.

The case was being investigated under Section 41 (1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for causing death by dangerous driving.

Close ↓