Tuaran district police chief Deputy Superintendent Dzulbaharin Ismail did not reveal the actual whereabout of the suspect wanted in connection with an attack on an Australian man at Kampung Kiwoi Tamparuli, on the grounds that it will jeopardise police investigation into the case. (NSTP Archive)

TUARAN: The suspect wanted in connection with an attack on an Australian man at Kampung Kiwoi Tamparuli near here last week is still at large.

Police, however, believed that the suspect, who attacked and hacked Daniel Broadhurst, 46, is still in the state.

Tuaran district police chief Deputy Superintendent Dzulbaharin Ismail did not reveal the actual whereabout of the suspect on the grounds that it will jeopardise police investigation into the case.

The police, said Dzulbaharin, had called off the operation to track suspect and use of canine unit in the forest area, which is close to the crime scene.

“We are continuing our investigation through intelligence gathering and we have fully identified the suspect based on probe and public information,” he said when contacted today.

On Jan 24, Broadhurst, who is married to a Sabahan, sustained grave injuries after he was attacked by with a machete.

Police had on Jan 26 revealed the suspect’s photo and identity. The suspect, known as Roy, is said to be a Filipino in his 30s and has no identification document.

Prior to the attack, Broadhurst had allegedly engaged in an argument with the suspect, who suddenly grabbed a machete and began hacking him.

The suspect later fled the scene and has gone into hiding since then.

Broadhurst was discovered lying in a pool of blood on the ground near a forest by villagers, who rushed to his aide and alerted the authorities.

The victim was then rushed to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for treatment.