(File pix) Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer, Nazrin Hassan. Police arrested Nazrin’s wife, Samirah Muzaffar, 43 and her two sons, aged 15 and 17, this morning in connection with the late executive’s death. NSTP Photo

KUALA LUMPUR: Police arrested Samirah Muzaffar, 43 and her two sons, aged 15 and 17, this morning in connection with the death of her husband, Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan.

The trio was arrested under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

"The three were picked up at their residence at 6.45am," said Selangor Criminal Investigation Department chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Fadzil Ahmat in a statement, today.

He added that the three were arrested on the instruction of the Attorney General's Chambers (AGC); and that police are also looking for another person in connection with the case.

Fazil said the three will be charged at the Petaling Jaya Magistrate's Court this afternoon.

Last week, Selangor police confirmed receipt of the second post-mortem report on Nazrin, and that the investigation paper was referred back to the AGC on Feb 22 for further action.

An English language portal had quoted Nazrin's family as saying that the second post-mortem examination showed that he died of multiple head injuries.

However, Nazrin's injuries were not due to the explosion of his mobile phone – as was concluded in the first post-mortem examination carried out by pathologists at Kuala Lumpur Hospital.

On Feb 20, Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim said that he had chaired several meetings to discuss the case of Nazrin, who died in his Mutiara Damansara house in what was thought to be an accident on June 14 last year.

It was initially believed that he had died of smoke inhalation caused by a fire triggered by his exploding mobile phone which had been left charging in his bedroom as he napped.

Two months after Nazrin's death, the case was reclassified as murder after investigations by the Fire and Rescue Department showed traces of fuel on his head, bedframe and mobile phone.

The revelation led to the detention of Samirah and her ex-husband as part of an investigation into the case, last September. They were released after being remanded for a week.

Noor Rashid described the medical report and the second post-mortem examination as important for them to plan their next course of action and to identify the culprits involved.