Close ↓
Former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak (C) arriving at the Kuala Lumpur Court Complex today. --BERNAMA
Former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak (C) arriving at the Kuala Lumpur Court Complex today. --BERNAMA

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) trial which was scheduled to resume tomorrow has been deferred to March 2, as the son of his lead counsel is getting married this week.

Deputy public prosecutor Ahmad Akram Gharib told reporters that High Court judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah, who is presiding over the RM2.28 billion 1MDB trial, had allowed an application by Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah for a postponement.

Shafee had earlier during the former prime minister’s other trial involving RM42 million of SRC International Sdn Bhd funds before judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali informed that the defence would seek an adjournment of the 1MDB trial.

He told Nazlan that the wedding of his son Muhammad Farhan, who is also a lawyer and part of the defence team, will be on Feb 20.

Shafee said among the reasons why he was asking for the adjournment was because he had to take part in the wedding preparations that will take place in Penang.

“The (wedding) date was moved to an earlier date and it is happening this Thursday. You know these young people they want the akad nikah (solemnization) to be on 20.02.2020," he said.

“I did not know that I would be involved… and there is the Penang Malay culture dance called ‘tarian semarak’. Luckily I am not the one to perform,” Shafee said.

The trial dates which have been fixed by Sequerah earlier remain on March 2-6, 9-13, 19-20, 23-27, 30-31, the whole of April, May 4 and the whole of June until October.

Najib, 67, is charged with misappropriating RM2.28 billion of 1MDB funds, money laundering and abuse of power.

Close ↓