KUALA LUMPUR: Taxi driver V. Balamurugan who has been cleared of five charges of having links with the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) will continue his legal challenge to delist the entity from being gazetted as a terrorist group.
This was after the High Court allowed his leave application to initiate judicial review for an order to quash the listing of LTTE in the gazette in 2014.
In the application, the 38-year old had named the Home Minister and the government as respondents.
This was informed by Balamurugan’s counsel Matthews Jude after the matter came up in the chambers of High Court judge Datuk Seri Mariana Yahya today.
He said the declaration was important to stop investigations and prosecution against anyone who showed sympathy to LTTE.
“We just want a court order to direct the Home Minister to delist the LTTE as a terror group," he said, adding that they were still proceeding with the judicial review although Balamurugan had been acquitted and discharged.
He said the court has fixed June 2 to hear the leave application.
Senior federal counsel Mohammad Sallehuddin Md Ali acted for the respondents.
On Jan 8, Balamurugam filed an application for leave to initiate a judicial review to seek a declaration that the LTTE details in the gazette as null and void and the listing of LTTE was unlawful as it was ultra vires the Federal Constitution.
He is also seeking for leave for a certiorari order to quash the listing of LTTE in the gazette, Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities (Declaration of Specified Entities and Reporting Requirements)(Amendment) 2014; dated Nov 12, 2014.
This morning, Balamurugan was acquitted and discharged by another High Court before judicial commissioner Datuk Ahmad Shahrir Mohd Salleh of five charges, among others, for pledging support, possessing LTTE-related items and displaying items relating to terror acts.
He allegedly committed the offences between Dec 28, 2014 and Oct 10 last year.