Family members and friends carrying T. Nhaveen’s casket at the Batu Gantung Hokkien Cemetery and Crematorium in George Town yesterday. Pix by Ramdzan Masiam

A FILIAL son, a beloved brother, a good grandson and nephew, a well-mannered and soft-spoken boy, a wonderful friend and, most importantly, a young man with a bright future.

These were how the more than 1,000 family, friends and ordinary Malaysians who attended T. Nhaveen’s wake and cremation at the Batu Gantung Hokkien Cemetery and Crematorium here yesterday remembered him.

Indeed, Nhaveen’s vicious assault at the hands of five youths last Saturday, and his untimely death on Thursday, tugged at the heartstrings of many as could be seen on the faces of the people who turned up to bid him a final farewell.

It was a poignant scene as many tried to hold back their tears.

When the casket’s cover was opened for the last time, many tried to have a final look at him and performed the last rites.

Family members and relatives took turns to lay flower petals on Nhaveen before whispering their last goodbye to him.

The pain was obviously too much for his mother, D. Shanti, sister, family members and friends to bear when the golden brown casket, bearing his remains, was wheeled into the incinerator just past 4.30pm.

The continuous drum beats failed to drown their incessant wailing, leading to many who did not know Nhaveen personally to also shed tears. They hugged and comforted each other.

His friends continuously shouted, “We want justice”, while holding up placards that read #justicefornhaveen.

Earlier, his casket was carried by relatives and friends from the funeral parlour to the crematorium.

Continuous drum beats to traditional Indian and Chinese tunes accompanied the entourage along the way, homage to Nhaveen’s passion for music.

Some in the procession in Nhaveen’s final journey also held the #justicefornhaveen placards.

Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim, who came to pay her last respects, supported the murder charge against the five suspects currently in police custody.

“The one thing Nhaveen’s mother asked me was for this to be the last case and to not let it happen to anyone else’s child,” said an emotional Rohani.

Shanti, who urged for justice to be served, was overheard telling Rohani: “My son is dead.

“Don’t let this happen to anyone else’s child.”

Nhaveen died at Penang Hospital at 5.31pm on Thursday following a vicious assault at the hands of a group of youths on Saturday.

He died without regaining consciousness.

At 2.20am on Saturday, Nhaveen and his friend, T. Previin, 19, were buying burgers at a stall when they were accosted by two of Nhaveen’s former classmates.

The two taunted Nhaveen and called him names, including “pondan” (sissy).

Nhaveen pleaded with the two to stop taunting him and warned them to back off.

However, the two called their friends to the scene and the group began assaulting Nhaveen and Previin.

Previin escaped with injuries, but Nhaveen was dragged to a field and was further assaulted.

The group, aged between 16 and 20, allegedly inserted a blunt object into Nhaveen’s anus.

Nhaveen’s case has since garnered widespread attention on social media, with Malaysians expressing an outpouring of sympathy for him and his family.

A candlelight vigil held outside the compound of Penang Hospital on Wednesday night to pray for the teen’s recovery drew more than 200 people.