Residents staying near Tanjung Bungah, where a landslide and sinkhole caused the collapse of part of a newly-built luxury homes on Sunday, claimed a similar incident had occurred years ago at an area nearby. (pic by MUHAMMAD MIKAIL ONG)

GEORGE TOWN: Residents staying near Tanjung Bungah, where a landslide and sinkhole caused the collapse of part of a newly-built luxury homes on Sunday, claimed a similar incident had occurred years ago at an area nearby.

They claimed that a road project located about 200 metres from the affected area had to be closed due to a landslide incident several years ago.

Checks revealed that the Jalan Solok Tanjung Bungah road project which was approved by Penang Island Municipal Council (MBPP) on Feb, 24, 1995 was cordoned off from public and not accessible to vehicles.

However, the damage from that landslide could still be seen from Persiaran Tanjung Bunga 2. There was a blue tarpauline the size of a futsal field covering the collapsed stretch.

Reuben J. Israel said the project had been abandoned for several years ago.

“Part of the double-lane road complete with lamp posts collapsed about five years ago and the contractor just covered it up.

“No repair or upgrading works had been done until today,” he said when met today.

MBPP however could not be contacted for comments.

On Sunday, three newly-built luxury houses on hillside of Tanjung Bungah were destroyed after heavy downpour had triggered a landslide and sink-hole, causing the whole double-lane road in front of the premises, to collapsed.

In the 2.30am incident, the centre of the retaining wall in front of the row of houses started to collapsed before the whole road caved in.

The units were going for between RM1.6 million and RM2.3 million each.

3,340 reads