(File pic) The latest wave of floods in the state, which lasted around two weeks, finally ended today with the last batch of 32 victims from Tumpat returning to their homes. (pix by NIK ABDULLAH NIK OMAR)

KOTA BARU: The latest wave of floods in the state, which lasted around two weeks, finally ended today with the last batch of 32 victims from Tumpat returning to their homes.

The victims, who have been taking shelter at SK Bunuhan for the past 14 days, were allowed to return home this afternoon.

According to a spokesman from the state police headquarters's flood operation room, all relief centres in the state have officially closed today after clear skies since Monday.

"However, we expect a second wave will hit the state tomorrow, as well as the high tide," said the spokesman.

The flood wave in Kelantan which started on Nov 25, saw nearly 15,000 evacuees being moved to the flood relief centres throughout the state.

The affected districts included Pasir Mas, Tumpat, Bachok, Kuala Krai, Tanah Merah and Kota Baru.

The floods also took the life of a 26-year-old man who drowned in Tumpat last week.

The state Drainage and Irrigation Department expects four episodes of high tide to take place in Kelantan that would cause floodwaters to rise between 1.4m and 1.6m in several districts.

Its director Kamal Mustapha was reported to have said that the first episode started on Dec 2 and ended yesterday, the second is expected to occur until Dec 11, while the third would run from Dec 16 to 21 and the fourth was expected to hit on Dec 23 to 31.

119 reads