Two-year-old Noor Atifah Abi Suffian who suffered 95 per cent burns to her body in a barbeque mishap during a family gathering here died of her injuries today, three days after the unfortunate incident. Pix by Amirul Aiman Hamsuddin

SUNGAI BESAR: A toddler who suffered 95 per cent burns to her body in a barbeque mishap during a family gathering here died of her injuries today, three days after the unfortunate incident.

Two-year-old Noor Atifah Abi Suffian died at the Sungai Buloh Hospital at about 7am.

Her body was transported to her family home at Parit 12, Sungai Nibong at 3pm, and prayers were conducted at the Al-Mukmin Sungai Nibong mosque by imam Syamsul Baharuddin.

She was buried at the Kampung Sungai Nibong Muslim cemetery at Batu 23 at about 3.50pm.

The funeral was attended by about 100 relatives, family friends and neighbours.

In the horrific accident on Thursday, Noor Atifah’s mother, 25-year-old Noor Atikah Ishak, was attempting to ignite a barbeque pit in the house compound to prepare lunch for a family get-together.

But the petrol ignited into a fireball – and while she managed to dodge the flames – Noor Atifah, whom she did not realise was nearby, was engulfed by fire.

Desperate to save her daughter, who was completely aflame, Noor Atikah and her brother, Shahrul Nizam, 20, picked up and carried the toddler before jumping into a nearby ditch to put out the fire.

The siblings both sustained burns to their hands and legs in the attempt.

Noor Atifah was rushed to the Simpang Lima health clinic in serious condition, before being referred to the Tengku Ampuan Jemaah Hospital and later, to the Sungai Buloh Hospital.