PUTRAJAYA: The Malaysian International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) Annex 13 Safety Investigation Team is on pause mode while the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines aircraft Flight MH370 is ongoing.
Its head Datuk Kok Soo Chon, who is also the former Civil Aviation Department director-general, announced this today, saying any new findings from the search could have huge impact on the probe into the disappearance of MH370.
"The publication of the detailed investigation report, that is the Safety Report, based on currently available information has been suspended pending the outcome of the latest search effort, since any new evidence uncovered is likely to significantly affect the investigation
"In the event that the aircraft is found, the team will conduct further investigation. If the aircraft is not found and a decision is made to discontinue the search, the team will resume the completion of the report and release it in the months ahead," said Kok during a live telecast of the 4th interim statement aired on TV1.
Kok said the government entered into an agreement with Ocean Infinity on Jan 10 to conduct a 90-day underwater search in an area that was considered the most likely location for the plane wreckage.
The Beijing-bound flight, with 239 people comprising 227 passengers and 12 crew on board, departed from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) dropped off radar less than 40 minutes after take-off and communications with the aircraft was lost after passing passing waypoint, IGARI on March 8, 2014.
The latest search for the missing Boeing 777 was reported to have started on Jan 19 on a “no cure no fee” basis, involving 65 crew on board including two officers from the Royal Malaysian Navy as the government's representative.
To date, the vessel Seabed Constructor has covered more than 16,000 square kilometres within the 25,000 square kilometres most probable area.
Kok also said to date the main wreckage of MH370 had not been found.
"Aircraft debris possibly from MH370 are still being discovered around the southeastern coast of the African continent and the adjacent islands.
"An updated summary of the debris recovered was published on April 30, 2017 together with the debris examination reports," he said, adding they were available on the Transport Ministry and the Communications and Multimedia Malaysia (KKMM) Ministry websites.
At the time of writing, Kok said, as reported in the Interim Statement released last year, three items of debris remained as being confirmed from MH370, citing the right flaperon; a part of the right outboard flap and a section of the left outboard flap.
"A few other pieces of debris were determined to be almost certain from MH370 including some cabin interior items. There is continuing activity to retrieve and examine any new debris that is discovered," he said.