Datuk Seri Najib Razak gestures as he prepares to address the media at the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters in Putajaya. Pic by ABD RAHIM RAHMAT

PUTRAJAYA: Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak left the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters here after being questioned for more than six hours over allegations of graft related to SRC International.

Najib who exited the building at 4.50pm, stopped to notify reporters that MACC officers had told him that the questioning phase of the investigation has been completed.

“This is the second day of questioning. The session started at 10am ended at 4.30pm with a 40-minute break for rest and Zohor prayers.

“I answered all questions to the best of my ability and MACC officers handled the matter professionally.”

“They also told me that questioning is now over,” he said.

This is the second round of questioning for Najib over the alleged transfer of RM42 million in his personal bank account.

He and his legal team had earlier pulled up into the MACC headquarters’ lobby in a white Toyota Vellfire at 9.45am.

Dressed in a black coat and gray trousers, Najib waved to the gallery of photographers and videographers before being ushered to the investigation room with his lawyers.

In tow were two vehicles, bearing among others his legal team and bodyguards.

Najib was summoned for questioning to facilitate MACC’s investigations into the SRC International Sdn Bhd case.

He gave his first statement to the graft busters on Tuesday.

SRC International was a subsidiary of 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB), until it was placed under the Finance Ministry in 2012.

The Prime Minister’s Office, in a statement on Monday, had announced the setting up of the 1MDB Investigation Task Force.

Its duties are to conduct a detailed investigation, asset tracing and acquisition as well as facilitate the prosecution of individuals who committed offenses related to the management of 1MDB.

On Tuesday, the US Department of Justice said it would continue to pursue investigations related to 1MDB adding that it was looking forward to working with Malaysian authorities on the matter.

The US filed forfeiture complaints in 2016 and 2017 seeking to recover over USD 1.7 billion in assets traceable to funds allegedly misappropriated from 1MDB.

These complaints alleged that more than USD4.5 billion was diverted from 1MDB and laundered through a web of shell companies and bank accounts located in the United States and elsewhere.--Reports by Hidir Reduan, Veena Babulal, Teoh Pei Ying, Mohd Husni Mohd Noor, Irwan Shafrizan Ismail and Faris Fuad

19 reads