Close ↓
A mobile phone which exploded while being charged in Nazrin Hassan’s bedroom as he slept yesterday could have been what killed him and triggered the ensuing house fire. (File pix)

KUALA LUMPUR: A mobile phone which exploded while being charged in Nazrin Hassan’s bedroom as he slept yesterday could have been what killed him and triggered the ensuing house fire.

A message from the family of the late CEO of Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd, which is circulating on social media, claims that at some point, the phone overheated and exploded, causing blunt trauma to the back of Nazrin’s head, leading to his death.

The explosion also set fire to the mattress Nazrin was lying on, but he is believed to have been dead by then, his brother-in-law added in the message.

“He had two phones. We don't know which one exploded. Who would have thought that such an innocuous, routine procedure (charging a mobile phone) is the reason three young kids will grow up without their father by their side,” the message said.

According to the police, Nazrin was trapped in a bedroom fire at his double-storey terrace house in Mutiara Damansara yesterday, and probably died of smoke inhalation. He had also suffered burns to his body.

The message also advised the public to be more careful when charging their mobile phones, including charging only in “safe zones.”

"(Do) not charge in the bedroom. It's worth the inconvenience of not having your mobile phone a hand’s reach away,” the brother-in-law, who did not reveal his name, continued.

Cradle Fund is a Ministry of Finance company which oversees the development of tech entrepreneurs and the Malaysian start-up ecosystem. It was the agency which gave early funding to successful companies such as ride-hailing pioneer Grab (previously MyTeksi) and fintech start-up iMoney.

Update: Selangor Fire and Rescue Department is still investigating the fire which claimed the life of Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan yesterday.

Its fire Investigation deputy director Hafisham Mohd Noor said the forensic division had taken samples of a mobile phone retrieved from the scene which would be sent to an electric laboratory in Bukit Jelutong for examination.

“K9 unit was also deployed yesterday to determine whether there was mischief element in the fire. We are still waiting for the result,” he said when contacted today.

Nazrin died of smoke inhalation after he was trapped in a bedroom of his house in Mutiara Damansara here yesterday.

A message on social media claimed that the fire occurred when Nazrin’s phone was overheated and exploded due to charging.

The message, believed to have been written by the victim’s brother-in-law, said Nazrin was charging his phone while he took a nap.

“At some point the phone became overheated and exploded. The force caused a blunt trauma to the back of the head, which killed him. The mattress caught fire but he was already lifeless at that point.

“My BIL(brother in law) is a techie of sort, always changing phones for the fun of it. He had two phones, one Blackberry and a Huawei. I don’t know which one exploded. Who would have thought such a routine procedure would cause three young kids to grow up without their father by their side,” the message read.

The writer also advised people not to charge mobile phones in their bedroom.

“The next time you charge your mobile phone, consider a safe zone. Better still, not in the bedroom.

“My BIL is never coming back and my nephews will grow up not remembering what an wonderful man he is. It’s worth the inconvenience of not having your mobile a hand reach away.”



Get the latest World Cup 2018 scores, highlights and updates from our dedicated World Cup page

Close ↓